Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are we SOL?

I have a situation.......we were renting an apartment prior to my hubby being laid off, now we are staying at the in-laws. When we were in the apartment, the carpet got badly stained from dog peeing to furniture bleeding in to the carpet. The apartments sent us a note saying that we had to replace the carpet($465). We tried everything to get all of the stains out......nope! My question is....will we be able to rent again with this on our record? Because we didn't pay them. Thats what we thought is why you give them a deposit. We were only there for nine can we leave that out as a place of residence?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • A deposit could mean different things. It all depends on what other damages are in the apartment. As for not being able to rent another place- just depends on the new property. If they happen to call your old place and find out why you didn't pay them..they might not approve you. Did you sign a 12 month lease or just a 9 month?

    Answer by azn_ladie82 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

  • I wouldn't worry too much about it. Let them keep the deposit. Some landlords will try to get everything they can from you, but won't worry about suing, because in the end, they loose money. If I were to seek another place to rent though, I would not use them as a reference, just tell the new people you have been living with your in-laws.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

  • totally agree w. the above!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

  • I thought deposits were for that too.

    Answer by kimmykim at 9:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

  • I had a landlord keep our deposit once b/c the oven light was burned out, and a few other light bulbs were bad when we left. He was ticked b/c we refused to go month to month with him and we ended our lease after the 12 months to avoid paying a much higher rent. He was a slum, anyhow, and never fixed anything. We got him back, though. His wife was a SAHM and watched our DD while we worked. She accepted checks from us (dumb), so we claimed it as child care on our income tax and turned them in. The IRS caught up to them b/c it was income not reported and boy did they have to pay BIG TIME with penalties & interest.

    Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

  • In my opinion, it would depend on the property owner. I don't think you will have a problem, if you do, the future property owners will probably just ask for more money.

    Answer by BingsMommy at 1:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • You can contact the tenants union in your state, legally they can not charge you to replace carpet. The landlord is supposed to do that between renters anyways. Let them keep the deposit, but in the meantime I would contact the tenants union and tell when what happened. They can probably help you guys out and get that off your record.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.