is it bables or count as a word

my son is 16 months old he used to say da da da da , ma ma ma , and na, na na na. now he doest say those words he says ba ba ba , Sometimes ( maybe 3 times) I was at the stove and said hot and he sait "ttt" sound.but he dosent use it reagulary and he dosent say anything else. should I be worried, he used to saw more bables or "words" what do you think? does any of this count as " a word " spoke?

muslimmom

Asked by muslimmom at 1:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It counts as a word if he uses it spontaneously (not just copying something you just said) and he uses it to mean the same thing every time. If he points to the stove and says "ttt", then he knows the word "hot" though he may not have clear understanding of the meaning yet (do you mean the stove itself or some other property of it... that will come with time).

Toddlers will use a word a couple of times and then drop it. You'll know he has a "word" for milk but he won't say it. That's normal. They will also drop whole chunks of a word (me instead of milk), switch syllables around (temo or remote), and use sounds they can make in place of ones they can't (dee instead of tree).

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• He's still pretty young. He is starting to try to form his words based on what you say. kaycee's answer is about the best in explanation.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2009