Chronic Pain...need advice

I am in pain 24/7. This is not the usual aches and pains/headaches. I have 'nerve pain' that radiates from the back of my neck all the way to my tailbone, and often down both my legs.

Ive done physcial therapy and do some exercises at home, but Im really having a tough time coping with this pain. I was going to counseling but I cant really do that anymore.

I take Tylenol #4 and Neurontin for the pain as well as Flexiril. Ive had 6 steroid shots.

So, if there is anyone who experiences chronic pain Id like to know what has or hasnt worked for you, including any foods, books, that helped you out.

I found the American chronic Pain Association's website through talking with a Medicare rep. and today i got a really nice workbook from them in the mail.

The pain has gotten so severe that I have blackouts and have no memory of what happened. Im seeing a new neurologist for MS next month.

lilmizmoore1127

Asked by lilmizmoore1127 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Health

• I have chronic pain but nothing like yours. I have pain in the middle of my back from an accident I was in around 15 years ago. After about 5 years I learned to live with it. Physical therapy works, but when I stop it, then the pain comes back, and I can't afford to take PT for the rest of my life. So the pain is there, and I am aware of it, but I move on with my life. When it comes to my consciousness I push it aside, sometimes I stand against a wall, which helps a bit. But as I said, what you are experiencing is far worse than mine.

Answer by Bmat at 3:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• thanks for your comment. I was paralyzed from the waist down while pregnant with my youngest, and then I had a stroke affected my left side, on top of that now I have MS. Im up for anything at this point, I can see how some people try to end their lives being in pain all the time. IT makes you miserable and not a happy person.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Sorry to read about your pain. I highly suggest that you see a Chiropractor, or a D.O. who will adjust your spine. When your spine is subluxated (which means partially dislocated) nerves can be pinched and this effects your nervous system and your whole body. Good luck :-)
    Lunarprancer

Answer by Lunarprancer at 8:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2009