My son has never really slept in his crib. He has always slept in the bed with me. Any great ideas for transferring into his big boy bed? (we are moving to a 2 bedroom now so he will have his own room and Thomas the Train bed)

tabarismom

Asked by tabarismom at 1:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It will be hard at first since he's used to sleeping with you. You can either have him CIO or stay with him in his room until he falls asleep. Either way, it will be tough for atleast a few days until he's adjusted. Good luck!
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• We just got my daugher to sleep in her bed. The crib always scared her and I was scared she would fall out out a toddle bed. On her first birthday we put up the toddler bed and put an extra mattres under it to prevent injury if she fell. it's been 3 weeks and she loves it. At first she would cry about it and get scared. But i stood outside her door calming her down explaining to her mommy was still there..
    1ontheway

Answer by 1ontheway at 4:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• You may wish to wait until you've made the move and he's adjusted to the new place before you try having him sleep in his own bed. A move can be a very big adjustment and you don't want to complicate it by adding another big adjustment into the mix.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 6:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Take a cuddle toy and carry it with you on your skin during the day. (I had a little Winnie the Pooh stuffed between my breasts for some time.) Give it the mommy-smell, doesn't matter if it soaks up some of your sweat (that's good), you could even put some breast milk on it. Give it to him when you lay him down. Sing, rock him to sleep, make him laugh a bit and most of all -even though it might seem like babies don't understand - explain to him why you are doing all this. Say it loud. "I know you want to stay with mommy and I would love to hold you like this forever and a day, but I need you to go to sleep in your own bed now because it is time for a change. That's life. And even though I'm sleeping by your side I will allways be with you. Everything is good, mom and dad are just around the corner, right?"
    Everything that promises comfort is good. Children need to know that they are taken care of.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2009