• In the Spotlight:

Sippy Cup

My son will NOT, I repeat, will NOT take any sippy I have offered him thus far. I have tried to the dr browns [bc that's the bottle he took], the majic sippy cup by avent, and the born free sippy.... and he will NOT take any of those 3 and will throw a tantrum if you try and make him.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what sippy he might like?
This is driving me crazy, he's 8 months old, and he needs to be drinking out of a sippy...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try some other brands. My DD likes the Nuby and fisher price. She wouldn't touch the gerber ones with the hard tops. They have to be silicone. If he isn't ready to go to a sippy I wouldn't force it at this point. I would also try maybe one with a straw and see how that goes. I wish you all the luck. By the way the Nuby and fisher price are pressure activated and not suction, but will work with the suction.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• All of my kids have liked the Playtex with the handles and the rubbery sippy to start out on.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 2:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My son took to the Avent sippies better... but he is still not fond of them. He prefers drinking out of regular cup... I allow it, but I have to hold onto it or he drowns himself. He's 8 months old, too.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i am just worried he is going to be one of those kids running around dragging the bottle at like age 2. honestly, i'm not too worried, but the dr seems to be. she says he is at the age where he should be taking a sippy, but this little boy just will NOT take a sippy!
    Anonymous

• Hes 8 months old and youre worried about him not taking a sippy cup? Let him be a baby. It could be that hes just not ready. Having a bottle past age 1 is not the unpardonable sin and its not even all that important. Just give him time to grow up a little bit. Youve only tried 3 cups. What about the cheap Nuby ones or the playtex ones?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My daughter's taken a Munchkin sippy cup since she was about 6 months and never had trouble with it. I agree that the silicon tops are better... they more like a bottle for them. I also get her the ones with handles so it's easier for her to hold. I wouldn't push the issue though. Try a couple other cups and if they don't work just try again in a week or two... eventually he'll be into it!
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My son wont take the bottle but he takes the sippy sometimes. We have the Avent, im not sure which one, but it has a rubber spout and has handles and I put some juice in it and let him do what he wants with it til he gets use to it.. Usually when he is in his walker or something. He'll drink from it but he's still learning.. Hes 6 months. Good Luck :)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2009