refusing formula

my son is 8 months old and he has started to refuse formula... he was eating 3-8 oz bottles a day and he has all of the sudden stopped drinking it. It's like he is not interested in it. He won't take a sippy or a bottle with formula.... I know that he needs atleast 24 or so ounces and we are lucky to get him to drink 15... Any suggestions or have you had this happen to you?

also, he does eat baby food and it is offered after the bottle. He does well with baby food, snacks, and juice, but not the bottle.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We are lucky to get in close to 18 ounces a day. But my LO is also a good eater with her food. My pedi said that they need 1.5 ounces of formula per pound of weight. So we need to get in about 18-20. Just keep trying and talk to your pedi about it and see what they recommend.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Try mixing it in with his food? I know my son loves smoothies! We make it thick enough to spoon feed. I use formula, fresh fruits, and ice, and throw it in the blender. Make sure there's no thick chunks of ice/fruit pieces left. You can even add yougurt. I am having hard time getting my son to take in his formula unless its naptime/bedtime. I sneak it in through food/cereal though. He's much happier getting his intake through food. As they eat more table food, the need for formula decreases... but I still make sure he gets at least 18-24oz a day. If he continues to refuse, see if your pediatric would recommend adding vitamins to your son's diet. There's vitamins with dha now.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I'm glad to see a momma concerned about their child's formula intake. My friend's little one has been refusing bottles, and she's just like, oh-well, she gets enough food and juice. As long as she's not crying, she's fine. That frustrates me because I feel as if they need the nutrients and protein found in formula. Ugh.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• do the formula first, then food. He is filling up on food. Its a personal choice when to start foods but some(not me) believe they get all they need from the formula until age one! But it sounds like he just isn't hungry, try the bottle first, X amount of ounces then some bite of food.Think about it, yummy food versus milky formula? I'd want the food too lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I would recommend cutting out/back the juice...its a lot of sugar and can just fill him up. offer formula or water and try the juices later maybe.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Also, I would like to add he does eat his formula FIRST and THEN I offer him baby food either way. Even if he doesn't drink all of his bottle I still offer baby food. If he isn't getting enough milk it makes me feel better to know he's getting full off of the food.

Thanks for the other answers guys. I am going to try mixing the formula with his oatmeal more and see if that gets him to take more formula....

I don't give him juice all day. He gets it once for a snack... He gets once ounce of baby apply juice. I don't feel as though that is hurting him.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I am the the person that asked this question btw, no idea why it posted anonymous
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• cut back on the solids...................hes just not hungry!! he will eat when hes hungry. give formula first and cut back on solids and he will start eating ...........................he will fight the change at first so be prepared for him to cry................dont give in and he will .
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 7:06 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• another thought......................talk to your pediatrician but...............maybe hes saying its time to wean? some kids do do this on there own. but definatly talk to the dr first.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 7:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my son only takes about 18-20 ounces of formula a day now (hes 9 months) he would much rather have the food... i mix at least 2 ounces with his cereal each time so he is getting some there, he is more likely to take a bottle in the morning when he first wakes up and at night when he is tired and wants to go to sleep. He would rather play with the bottle than drink it...
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 4:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2009