Flat heads?

How many of your babies have flat heads? My son is a back sleeper because that is what was recomended due to sids. And he has a flat head. No matter what I do to try and reposition his head at night he turns it right back. My doctor has never expressed a concern about it, but any ideas on what I can do to help? IM not putting him in a helmat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter was the same way. she absolutely hated tummy time. we started using the boppy pillow for her tummy time and she loved that. I know you said you got one for him, so use that. lay him there for as long as he can stand it, then take a break from what youre doing and go on the floor and play with him a little while hes still on his boppy. if you keep picking him up from it every time he cries he wont get used to it. I know its frustrating, but it will get better. The easiest thing you can do if youre this stressed is try the sleep positioner. I know I mentioned it before, I just hate knowing that you feel like theres nothing you can do. Luckily he is getting older, so the tummy time thing will get better. Have you tried an exersaucer? You can get one at a garage sale, or on craigslist for $10. It may not be the newest version, but it can still be in great condition. Thats where we got my daughters
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• do a lot of tummy time when he is awake. avoid swings and bouncies that keep him on his back. it should round itself out. you can also use a sleep positioner to sleep him on his side, which is what I did with my daughter. Ive personally always felt that was the safest way to sleep, but every mom is different. but lots of tummy time will definitely help!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• No, this is'nt a concren it's just his anatomy. GOOD LUCK!!!
    iloveRiver

Answer by iloveRiver at 2:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I would still keep him on his back to sleep. But when he's awake do lots of tummy time and holding so that his head isn't up against a surface all day long.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I try lots of tummy time, but he will usually only tollerate his tummy for maybe ten minutes at a time.
    Anonymous

• Hold baby and do not leave baby sitting in the swing, carrier, bouncy seat, etc. for an extended period of time nor should you be switching baby around between the aforementioned all day long. Lay baby down for tummy time. Get a boppy tummy time or a play mat. Sit baby up in your lap and interact.  Also if it comes down to the need of a helmet do not not get it because of your embarrassment just think of the life long embarrassment the child would have but you shouldn't even worry about the helmet unless the Dr says something.

Anonymous

• My son is 2 year old and still has a flat head. I confronted his doctor on several occasions about it when he was an infant and she never seemed concerned. She said to make sure he got lots of tummy time when he was awake and blah, blah, blah. Well you know what? We're with a new doctor now. We were on Medicaid before and now we have insurance through my husband's job. The new doctor said the first one should have done something about it. As a result, my son has a malformed and misaligned jaw...which is going to result in jaw surgery to correct it by the time he is 4. His teeth are all messed up because he jaw didn't grow properly. We've been to 3 different pediatric dentists and oral surgeons and have been told the same thing...he's going to need surgery to correct this...and it could have all been avoided if his first doctor had sent him to a specialist to get a helmet to help correct the shape of his head.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 3:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I am so angry about this. Come to find out, even if his first doctor had wanted to send him to the specialist, Medicaid most likely would have denied it. How messed up is that? They didn't deny my oldest son getting plastic surgery on his nipple due to a growing-out-of-control skin tag, but they would have said no to a helmet to correct my baby's head? We're still investigating and filing complaints.

Keep an eye on your son's head. I am not saying that what has happened to my son will happen to yours, but still, keep an eye on it. Do the tummy time, use a sleep positioner to sleep him on his side. How old is your son? The sooner you start doing these things the greater the chance your son's head will be fine. Good luck.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 3:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I do hold him a lot and interact with him. And he does have a boppy that I recently got for him and we do that too. B ut I also work fulltime and have to clean my house and shower, and eat. I can't hold him every minute of the day. I hold him as much as i possibly can. We love our cuddle time. But he also enjoys playing on the floor batting at his toys more than anything. And he will never learn to roll and such if he doesnt get floor time. I wouldnt say no to the helmet because of embaressment. I said that because I posted this once before and 3 people were like hes gonna need a helmet.
    Anonymous

• Just know that housework can wait if it is between that and your childs health. Things can be done during naps or bedtime. If he enjoys laying on the floor batting things get a play mat and keep him on tummy time to bat and play with the fun toys on the mat instead of his back. If you can't wait to do things, use a sling. If you are a working mom could the problem be with the daytime caregiver and the amount of time he spends on his back? Do you know how his days are spent? (not asked in a mean manner just wondering if they tell you about how he spends his day)
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 3:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2009