Do you use a time out chair? Is it effective?

momjs

Asked by momjs at 3:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I used a time out corner..Stand in the corner tell I tell you can get out of the corner. Basically the same thing.

Answer by louise2 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

•   I forgot to add...at what age is it no longer effective?  Would you use a Magical Thinking Chair rather than a time out chair?  http://www.cjkidz.com/Products.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 3:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• When my kids were growing up, I truthfully NEVER had to use any form of time out or counting. I used this thing called spanking. Yeah it worked. My kids are grown and just fine. No, they are not into S & M or killing. They were raised by parents that were not lazy and cared about how they acted at home and in public. Now, I am knocking your form of punishment, but I am just saying it's pretty hard to sit a 14 year old boy in time out. They have to know who is in charge and what they can and cannot do. For the sake of others who have to deal with your child out in public, please think of this.
    Anonymous

• Standing in the corner works better for my group. They get tired of standing there and are much more willing to do what they were told to do....

There's also loss of privileges and I do time outs in public, too. I don't care how many stare at my kid sitting on the floor in the middle of the store crying. He did something wrong.

OH, and there's the occasional swat on the butt if I really need to get their attention.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Magical Thinking chair? The idea is for them to be upset that they are being punished...not getting to sit their butts on a prettily decorated chair.

Sorry...I have to disagree with that one. Especially since the one kid is sitting on it and smiling.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Absolutely, it is effective as long as you effectively use the technique! And consistency is vital!!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I should have explained. I was wondering if people use time outs. The chair really goes with a book "Johnnie Jenkins and the Magical Thinking Chair"....but some parents have been telling us they are also using it to help their kids "think about" what they did wrong.....

I still wanted thoughts on time out and parents thoughts on effectiveness and other techniques.
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I use one of our couches as the 'naughty couch". It seems to work briefly but no long term results on the behavior. ....We can't spank because of previous abuse by his mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yes I do and yes it does. I also have a big mirror in front of it. I have found that my daughter really doesn't like to see herself looking all "ugly".
    frazzledmrs

Answer by frazzledmrs at 6:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Um...the idea of time out when they get older is for them to think about what they did. I'm sorry but I don't think they need a chair or a book for that.

My oldest is 5, when he gets out of time out he has to come and tell me why he was put in time out, why it was the wrong thing to do and then do the appropriate thing after (apologize, do what he was told but refused to do or do an extra chore)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2009