Do you actively try to learn about people who aren't like you? Other races, cultures, sexualities, disabilities, classes and upbringings?

I know its broad but so many of us are stuck in our own little bubble on CM. It frustrates the heck out of me. Do you do anything to change it? And if you don't would you like to someday?

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 3:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Not so much here, but in my real life. I have twins who are learning disabled so I have a deep interest in that group. Culturally I live in a very diverse area in California. There are a lot of cultural events to go to and we go as often as we can. I have learned that we have a lot more in common than we think, and if we take the time to listen we are much richer for it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I do try to learn about the differences in cultures, etc. And I also remind myself how deep-seeded these things can be in a person. They are what they are, just as I am what I am....often without control.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i try to get to know people but as soon as they find out something about me i get called hick inbred hillbilly and all that other crap basically if i dotn make friends with southern moms i get mocked and told im an idiot and i must not have an education now outside here i have many friends and we all know about each others cultures religions ect .. i just dont think people on cm can ever be open minded and not ever be hateful
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Yes, I married someone from another country, another culture, another religion.. The only problem we have sometimes is a language barrier. Otherwise, I am loving it.
    Anonymous

• always!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It is nice to get out of your bubble and see the world. This is what vacations are for. I grow up in S.California so i did experience all above. Big cities you can see it all.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• MrsOwen sorry to hear about how people mocked you. It is hard out there, but always hold your head up high and keep on walking. They are the idiots not you.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• oh i know they are just being ignorant its just sad that that is how people look at people from the south even here i get mocked we moved to vegas for DHs job and ya lol folks are just pathetically rude here im afraid to talk because ill have 6 people make fun of my accent but oh well makes them look stupid not me
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Mrs. Owen im sorry people are so rude to you. That is uncalled for. I try to. Not so much on cafe mom, but I dont really talk to many people on here. I dont usually have much time. Unless its at night and then theres not many people on. But I work with adults with mental disabilities, and it is a very rewarding job. There are some gross things that I have to do in some of the lower functioning homes, but it is rewarding to know that I am helping and teaching them. And one of my best friends is gay, and before I got pregnant him and I used to go to the gay clubs all the time. They are fun. I recomend going to one sometime. Good question..
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 4:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I love learning about other race and religions and stuff. I was brought up in a small white very raciest town and hated it plus the people i'v emet andknow from differnt backgrounds tend to being differnt humor and insight I love it. No bubble for me.
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2009