Sick baby

I posted the question just a bit ago about what to do because of him getting sick. I have been checking his temp all day and its normal. Hes three months. He got sick twice about 12:30 and hasnt had a wet diaper since. He just now ate again at 2. The on call doctor said if he gets sick again then I should take him in. I am just freaking out. Any advice?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 3:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep trying to get him to drink. Small sips is far better than a full meal. Let him drink an ounce or so (best guess if breastfeeding). If it stays down, offer him another ounce after a half hour. Keep doing that. It's better for him to be crying in hunger than to fill him up and have him throw up.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• By "getting sick", do you mean throwing up? My twins had RSV when they were 4mos, and had to use a nebulizer for a few days, and I had to constantly suction out their noses and run humidifiers all the time (which I still do). It only took a few days for them to get better. Is he eating his whole bottle (if bottlefeeding)? If not, make sure his nose is clear of any mucous; he might not be able to breathe well if it's all clogged up. He might just be having an "off day".. let me know how everything goes! Also, if you end up needing to suction out his nose, the "Saline Drops " by Little Remedies/Little Noses (at Target and drugstores) is wonderful! Hope this helped!
    lgilliam83

Answer by lgilliam83 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• He got over a cold about a week ago and hasnt been himself since. Hes been spitting up a lot and got a fever twice in the last week. Fussy off and on. And out of no where today he threw up twice in a row. The on call doc said to wait and if he does it again then to take him in. I dont know if it was a fluke or what. But I called off of work to stay home with him. Im a worrier and just want to make sure hes ok.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 3:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• there is no such thing as a "worrier" mom!! you are doing your job and dont ever question your instincts!! you know your baby better than anyone. dont feel guilty for staying home. its your right as a mom and it tells him you love him. he needs you when hes sick. if the vomiting keeps up call the dr back. sometimes a cold will be followed by a bacterial infection.
    keep us posted and keep up the good job mom!!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 6:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2009