Lactos Intolerant Mommy-to-be....

So, I am Lactos Intolerant, & tend to get pretty knarly gas-cramps when I drink milk. I can usually endure the pain, but was wondering if the gas-cramps will effect the baby? (btw, I am 5 weeks, if that makes a difference)

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no it shouldnt but id ask your dr about it ill tell you i had horrible gas cramps in the beginning of this pregnancy i thought i was going to die lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• no, but you should look into alternative for calcium sources, lactose intolerance can also cause really nasty diarrhea which can dehydrate you. how do you feel when you eat cheese and yogurt? if it is still bad, you may want to look into rice milk or calcium supplements (I only suggest rice mil because soy is nightmarishly bad tasting...ugh). dark leafy veggies and tofu are also good sources of calcium and fortified cereals are great too.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 4:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i dont do too well with yogurt, but cheese has never posed too much of a problem. i have also seen prenatal vitamins at the local medicine shop that have extra calcium, would those work? i was more concerned with the cramping because of all i hear about cramping & m/c but the dehydration makes sense. i will talk to a doctor as soon as my insurance kicks in (my appointment is in 2-3weeks) & until then I will do what I can to find non-milk related calcium =) thank you both so much!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Try the Silk Soy milk the vanilla is very good. I would say while your PG I wouldn't drink the milk but I would for sure ask you doc about this one. Good Luck.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2009