Are you able to ask you child pediatrician for?

a blood toxicity analysis prescription? I know that at around 12 months they give you one to test for lead but not other neuro toxins like those found in vaccines such as chloride, aluminum, formaldehyde,etc.
Before I give my daughter anymore vacs I would like to request a blood screening to check & make sure her current levels are safe but is a ped aloud to deny my request? Also, id like to check to see if she has pre-existing immunity before getting any booster vacs.
Do you think this is extreme? Im a first time mom so yes I'll admit I get paranoid about injecting foreign substances into my daughter. Sorry if I ask alot of vaccine questions in this section, Im not trying to insult anyone, whether they do or do not vaccinate, I Know as parents we all try to do whats best for our child , so in return please don't rip me a new one if you think this idea/question is stupid.

thanks =)

heimikkat

Asked by heimikkat at 4:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are rght to worry. It's completely unnatural and harmful to inject babies wth those vaccines.

If you are interested in looking into it further - join the group 'choosing not to vaccinate' here on Cafemom, there are some very intellegent women who know all the facts they could get their hands on and can help you make a better decision for your child.
    Anonymous

• Sure you can ask. If it would happen or not...I don't know. That would be up to your doctor.

They did the lead screening right in the office for my boys. It was a finger prick for lead and checking the hemoglobin. They only do a blood draw if they get two finger prick tests back with high lead results.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I am a selective vacs Mom myself. Mine don't get vacs until they start kindergarten. And even then I select which they truly need......! My thought is this though, you are Mom, and use that God given Mom's instinct to decipher what is best for your child. If you are concerned, ask. Remember, doctors are pro vacs, so you may have to push the issue. With my first child that I didn't vacs I got so many negative comments from medical professionals, sometimes I had to be a b to get things done, but hey, they are my children....! You listen to your heart and what you feel is right for your child, vacs or not or selective vacs!!  Don't let anyone make you feel bad for whatever decision you have made!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 8:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Yes, your doctor can tell you 'no' or try to talk you out of it. But, be persistent. They cannot deny you a medical test you are willing to pay out of pocket for. (If your doc doesnt think you need the test, insurance prob wont pay for it.)

But if you feel that strongly about it, write down everything you want her tested for and take it in to your doctor.

Be nice at first, but stand your ground. If they still refuse, ask that they document in the chart that the patient requested these tests be done, and was denied. Then ask for a copy of the chart and go to a new pediatrician.

Odds are that they wont want to document refusing an elective non-invasive medical screening, and will grant the blood test.

-Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 10:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2009