My baby is almost a month old. She constantly struggles to go to the bathroom and i'm not talking about going pee either. Would it be ok to mix a little apple juice with water and give it to her to help her go. Or even just give her a little water? like and ounce.??

Feeding, Tummy aches, Bathroom issues.

JadedAngel01

Asked by JadedAngel01 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What they used to do was to mix a little karo (corn syrup) in the formula, but you should check with the doctor about what they recommend.

Answer by Bmat at 4:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• don't give her apple juice. its ok to give a little bit of water. an ounce is fine but don't do it very often. it can be harmful on some babies tummys.
    cecebowers

Answer by cecebowers at 4:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• You might want to think about changing her formula. Discuss it with your Dr., but she shouldn't have to struggle all the time. I used to do the karo syrup thing when mine were little.
    Anonymous

• A nurse told me to try giving just a little bit of water. And changing my sons formula. Hes on a soy now, and it helped. What kind is she on.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 4:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• No. Not at all. Not juice, or karo syrup or anything else.
    Breast milk is all your baby needs.
    If you are using formula, then formula is all your baby needs.
    What does "struggling" mean, anyway? That she doesn't poop every day??
    Unless the poop comes out hard, you don't really have a problem. Is the poop hard? If that is the case, and your FFing, switch to a formula with less iron.. Iron constipates.
    Otherwise, leave your baby's poor system alone!!!!!!!!!!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Since she is so young, do NOT try any home remedies until you talk to your doctor. If she had a cold and a neighbor gave you something that worke great for her 2 year old, would you use it? Of course not! She's only a month old.

Take ALL medical probelms to her doctor. She is too young to trust to our over-the-internet suggestions.

File any hints you see here under "useful information for the future".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• If she is formula fed you would first want to look into switching her formula. You could try a little water but instead of giving it to her plain maybe add a little extra water to her bottles once or twice a day. I'd also ask her pediatrician
    Anonymous

• at this age you should be examining what would be causing her to be constipated rather than looking for a quick solution.

please check with your baby's pediatrician. it could be the formula she is on or, if you are breastfeeding it could be something in your diet.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Is she breastfed or formula fed? If she is breastfed, it is totally normal for her to go days without a BM. As long as it isn't hard, she is fine. FF'd babies usually poop frequently but it isnt a problem if she isn't, as long as the BM isnt hard. PLEASE do not give her karo syrup! It can cause botulism. Says it right on the website! I wouldn't give her juice either.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• What has the doctor said about it? I'd stick to what he's recommending.

My son had constipation problems (struggled to poop, rabbit pellets, every few days, etc) Our pediatrician had us put some Karo syrup in his formula. That didn't work. So (long story short) we ended up on soy and it helped him go more often...but he's always been pellety until we started juice when he was older (6 months) I currently (he's 5) have to balance the fruit and dairy in his diet to keep him regular.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2009