Answer ONLY if you have FIRST HAND experience: What's your best tip for mothers with 2 under 2? Or 3 under 3? etc

I was asked for advice on having 2 under 2. I gave my advice...get a hands free wrap, take the help, don't make the new baby seem untouchable so as to avoid negative acting out by the elder children, but that's the only advice I have thus far as I am brand new to having 2 under 2--I need the advice as well. Use birth control is NOT advice so please DO NOT go there!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• "Use birth control is NOT advice so please DO NOT go there!" people are so mean! I'd say that frozen foods are a must have. also easy crock pot meals, and one dish meals so you don't have to do a lot of dish washing.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 5:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I proudly have a 19 month old son and 2 month old daughter that we planned. I t gets frustrating at times, but my son loves his sister - she gets more kisses than we do he is very gentle with her. A piece of advice I would give is let them become comfortable together in their own time it works out better in the end
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 5:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Don't set the door knob too high (for yourself that is), keep them (the children) clean, fed and not overly coddled. Start early teaching both the older one to be a "big kid" as much as is possible, help them learn to dress and feed themselves.. . even help entertain the baby once in a while (this will not only help you, but help them not feel jealous of the baby, as I'm a "big kid", not a "baby".) Also I used to make sure that every now and then, I would tune into the older child instead of the baby, if they were both wanting my attention. That would help them understand that they were both important, but since the baby was little and didn't understand he/she usually got tended to first. Also be sure you don't let the baby get too used to being held all the time, it will be so hard later on if you do. I have 4 all 18 months apart, so I've had the experience 3 times! LOL ! And yes I got the "USE BIRTH CONTROL!!" line too.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 5:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Dont forget to have a sense of humor because some days you will need it.

Answer by gemgem at 5:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I agree with the crockpot answer! What a lifesaver. I had my freezer packed w/ prepared meals prior to the baby. Don't sweat the small stuff. Set up the breakfast table at night. Premake sippy cups of milk, juice, etc and put in fridge. Stay in the shower as long as possible. Do as much together as possible: diaper changes, snacks, meals of course, baths. And enjoy!! Kids close in age are so fun and great friends as they get older.
    preshies5

Answer by preshies5 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Best advise I can offer is to not take to heart what other's say. It will bring you down. My 2 oldest kids are 16 months apart and for the longest time I was always getting comments from people about how hard it was going to be and some people even said that it was a mistake to have them so close together. Can you believe that! We planned it. Anyway ignore people like that they will bring you down.
    When I was playing with my son I'd always have my DD there. Either in her swing, chair or just lying on a blanket on the floor. I'd let him do things for her, I have a pic of him feeding her a bottle when she was about 6 months, too cute!New borns sleep so much that he really wasen't lacking attention and he was so young himself that I was still very involved in his day. My 3rd was born a few months before my son turned 4 and let me tell you things are crazy and VERY worth it!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I had three under 3.

I echo what everyone else has said...and add...get a routine. Not for the kids, but for YOU.

Keep a travel/diaper bag ready at all times.

Plan shopping trips for snack times. (gives you at least 15 minutes of peace in the store)

Work the baby into any established routine of the older one.

Don't worry about working out...the kids will take care of that for you. lol

Clean house? Yeah, right. Keep a path and give it a good once over when you have some help with the kids.

When you cook a meal, double it and freeze.

On those rough days...remember one thing...tax deductions, tax deductions, tax deductions...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• If you can get both children on the same nap schedule, do it! Set routines early: feed them at a certain time, wash them at a certain time, dress them, etc... if you don't you will be running your butt off morning to night. If you get overwhelmed, ask someone to help even if it's just for a half hour.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Oh...and my last two (11 months apart) are both surprises conceived on two different forms of birth control!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I second, third and fourth all the above! LOL Remember, you don't have to be super Mom, ask for and graciously accept help. Make sure that you at least make time enough for yourself to brush your teeth - - ;D !! Look in the mirror every morning and tell yourself what a wonderful Mom you really are!  Repeat after me "peace and calm" when you feel overwhelmed!  The nap at the same time is imperative! Do not sweat the small stuff, learn to enjoy every chaotic moment, look for the funny in every stress moment (a great sense of humor), make time for yourself even if it's only once a month! Give Dad control, let go and let him! Remember to have date night with hubby, cling to each other, don't take it out on one another! Appreciate every breath, every second, every tear, every laughter........

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2009