How much to charge?

I watch 2 children for $5/hr. Mom wants to go away for the whole weekend and leave them with me. It would be from 4pm Friday until 12 noon on Sunday, so approx 44 hrs.

So how much do I charge her? I will be doing this in my home and I feed them.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Here is a nifty rate calculator for babysitters: http://babysitters.sittercity.com/rate_calculator.html

It is based off of your age, experience and the average amount that other babysitters in your area are paid. After enter in the initial information, it will take you to a page where you can adjust it with more specific criteria (i.e. watching kids overnight etc.).

I'd say you're already grossly underpaid. Watching kids is hard work!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I would say around $100 plus the cost of food. Here is how I came up with that answer so if the mom asks then you can tell her. Basically, you will be watching the kids from 4-around 8 on Friday then they will go to bed. On Saturday, I would charge from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. and then on Sunday from 8 a.m.-12. Giving you a total of 20 hours. $5 an hour times 20 = $100. I would charge about $5 a meal so that would be around 4-5 meals so the grand total would be $120-$125 for the weekend.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Wow I don't know where you guys live but here 44 hours (whether they're sleeping or not) would cost in excess of $450 for two kids all weekend with meals! You're a total sweetheart if you're willing to work for two kids for $5 an hour! Good for you! I wouldn't do a penny less than $200!
    Anonymous

• I was going to say $200 also. That would be the least I would take unless she was a good friend and the kids were just coming over for the weekend, then I wouldn't charge anything. But, since you watch her kids as it is and she pays you, I'd say $200 including food costs.
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 9:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• You give her a great deal to watch two kids for 5.00 an hour! I think even 200.00 is low, but since the bar has already been set, maybe 200.00 would be a good amount. Even though the kids will be sleeping for part of it, your time is taken by the commitment and you are responsible for them.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2009