Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever been a victim of identity fraude?

My husband got a letter yesterday that asks him not too friendly to pay some money to the debt collector for a credit he took on in 1994 (15 years ago!!!) With interest it has build up to more than 8500,-. Goodness me, 15 years and that's the first time we ever heard of that! Most of all he had never had that credit, so what the h*** is going on? They won't get money anyway, because no way in a million years we could pay that amount of money.
First the on monday morning will be an appointment at the lawyer's. How we're going to afford him, I don't know but making no move is not helping either.


Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • I have been a victim but I caught it immediatly and thanks to my fabulous bank was not help responsible. You need to get a copy of your credit report and for every year goin back to the date this credit was aquired and file a police report. From there I dont know what to tell you hun. I am so sorry this happened to you. Be safe from now on adn check your credit 3 times a year. The collection agency will work with you if you do have to pay it so try not to worry about it too much. Just take ti all one step at a time

    Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

  • I was a victim of online identity theft. My computer had a virus which enabled a hacker to see my log-in information to several stores and places where I had credit card information saved. Can you say SHOPPING-SPREE?! *sigh* I recovered the damages because the card they used was backed by Visa and they have a guarantee.

    You need to look up the three credit bureaus online and place a fraud alert on your credit. You'll also want to contact your bank and any credit cards/loans to let them know what happened. Then order a copy of your credit report to see where this all might have happened. The lawyer should be able to help you sort this out. Good luck!

    Answer by NovemberLove at 12:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2009