Could legalizing marijuana reduce the Mexican Cartel violence?

Arizona AG: Marijuana legalization could curb Mexican drug cartel warfare
David Edwards and Stephen C. Webster
Published: Friday February 27, 2009

When President Bush vowed to "smoke 'em out" in the chase for Osama bin Laden -- who his administration claimed to be America's greatest enemy -- he meant it in the Wild West sense, not the California sense.

Who'd have thought that by the time his predecessor took office, otherwise conservative officials would be considering another way of smoking out a new and growing threat to American's safety: Mexican drug cartels, whose profits are largely derived from the illegal smuggling and sale of marijuana.

On Friday, Democrat Terry Goddard, Arizona's Attorney General, said that while he's not in favor or legalizing marijuana, he thinks it should be debated as a way of curbing violence in the increasingly deadly clashes between Mexico's gangs.

What do you think?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 6:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I' not sure it would make a whole lot of difference as the Mexican drug cartels are dealing with a lot more than marijuana.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• According to everything I've read it seems it would have a huge impact.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 6:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Friday, your new dark and ominous avatar scares me, please go back to the black and white one. The drug issue in Mexico is way way out of hand, I would agree something soon and massive has to be done, more so than legalizing marijuana in any shape or form. I don't think I could come up with any ideas other than just going on a rampage and taking out any suspected drug dealers, picking them off like ticks on a dog's back. Till the body count over there was too many to count. Let the lord sort 'em out.

akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

Mass murder over legalizing a plant? Let me guess, you voted for Bush?
    Anonymous

• Well of course.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Piece keepers tend to be Peace Keepers, hehe
    NRA, pro-life, pro death penalty. Whatever, slap a label on me. I'm not scared.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My other choices were Kerry and Gore. No thanks.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Amen, Akin!
    Anonymous

• akin--
    Piece keepers tend to be Peace Keepers, hehe

LOVE IT!!! lol :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2009