what makes taking the bottle away easier

my son turned 2 on the 25th and i took him off the bottle on the 26th and these last few nights have been HELL i got him a sippy cup with a siicone nipple but it drips out kinda fast and he WILL NOT drink milk from it what so ever so i tried to put just water in it and he took a few sips and then throws for it and cries for his baba and throwing a huge fit until 5 a.m i finally get him to sleep by holding him and and hushing him asleep Im also 15 weeks pregnant AND AM TOTALLY EXAUSTED WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE THIS PROCESS EASIER??

xaviersmamacita

Asked by xaviersmamacita at 7:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ... (very small voice) why MUST a toddler stop using the bottle on his 2nd birthday??

Adults don't give up habits instantly, even when it's something unhealthy for them. The bottle has been his source of nourishment, and is also an activity which has been comforting and soothing. What's the point in forcing him to feel bereft. ... The sucking itself - the full sensory experience of the bottle in the mouth plus the nourishment going down - IS the path to drifting off to sleep, so he is not only being compelled to go without his major source of comfort and security, but he's also being blocked from being able to relax into sleep.

I'm completely at a loss ... kids can drink out of a bottle until they're EIGHT for all I care - letting go of security is something a child does on their own, that's kind of the definition of a sense of security. Let it happen on its own by being intermixed with experiences of sippy cup and food.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I took the bottle away much sooner, at 1 year and it wasn't TOO bad. I think the longer you wait, the harder it will be. Just suffer through it and he WILL get over it! Just hold your ground, it will be okay. He will be okay with the sippy cup, just give him time
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I took the bottle away early about 10 mos. but I was still nursing so it made it easier since he wasn't to attached to it. I started with the nuby cups with the spout that is nipple like. They are pretty cheap and found in Wal Mart. Then we just graduated to harder sippy cups. It was fairly easy. With other kids I had a harder time but I started later. I had to with a couple of them sort of wean them off by removing a bottle or two a day. One of mine never took a bottle so it was never an issue. Toddler's don't like drastic changes like bottle here today gone tomorrow so usually the night time bottle and nap time bottle would be the last to go.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I am having this same prob.! She is two and I dont want it to hurt those bright new teeth. I started today with just giving her a sippy at nape time she yelled i want my baba but she went to sleep within 30 mins of crying I think thats how i am going to go about it start with nap time and once she is use to the sippy at nap try and go onto night. Good Luck its so hard! I also have a prob with the Binky! She loves it. I not taking it though I decided once she is done with it she will be rid of it. Good Luck.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• try Nuby brand sippy cups, they have the same material as bottle nipples and they're non drip..i took mine away from my kids cold turkey at 10 months each and thats what i gave them..worked like a charm..then they realized they could chew on the tops a few months later..it Will get easier! the screaming only lasts a few days!! try to stick it out!GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• thats wat i have for Alyssa, the Nuby sippy cup. it works great. well obviously lol she is 7 1/2 months on a sippy cup.
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 3:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2009