legal question

Could you put an 8 month old up for adoption without the fathers permission (if he has no custody, is not on the BC, just proven father through a paternity test) baby adopted by the grandparents?

Po0okiebear69

Asked by Po0okiebear69 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Adoption

• Highly doubt it. He has just as much right to make that decision as you do even though he hasn't been involved. If he hasn't showed any interest I doubt there will be a problem with getting his permission. Why are you doing that though?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• No, he has rights EVEN if he wasn't yet proven to be the father though a dna test. He will have to sign a termination of parental rights agreement for the child to be available for adoption.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My guess would be no. There would be a question about who the father was, if he knows, did he ever pay for any expenses prenatal or other wise....then lawyers would go and get his signiture to terminate. If they cannot find him most states post it in the legal sections of the newspaper.
    Anonymous

• The father has his rights. He would have to be noitified of the adoption in order for the adoption to take place.
    Anonymous

• It really depends on what state you're in, but on the safe side, I would contact him to have him sign his rights. Definitely speak with your lawyer about it. I had my parents adopt my son (at birth), and I didn't have to have his biological dad sign his rights.

rainfalls

Answer by rainfalls at 9:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Very unlikely.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• If you know who the bf is he may very easily sign away his rights if he hasn't shown any interests. If he fudges just remind him of back child support that would have to be paid. Unfortunately most men in these cases value their money over their children and will then sign the papers. If you can't find him then they will post it in newspapers and after so many posts/months the courts will then terminate fathers rights.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• HE HAS SAY SO UNLESS HE GIVES UP HIS PATERNAL RIGHTS..NOW YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND DO THAT,,,BUT YEARS LATER HE CAN COME AND REVERSE EVERYTHING AND NOONE CANT DO A THING ABOUT IT.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2009