formula switch

can you switch formula without talking to the doc? Have you done it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no i havent done that
    Anonymous

• yeah. just wean the baby. what do you wanna switch to/from
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 7:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• of course you can!! its your child isn't it? I never consulted his dr before switching formula i just told him what he was drinking now at check ups
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• similac alimentum to something else
    Anonymous

• I what I did with my son was switch him from that to soy and then gentle ease the one that has the whey protein partically broken down. I would recommend using one of those.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• You can do whatever you want to with your own kid (okay...within reason, we all know that)

Just remember that it takes a week for the old formula to get out of the system and another to see if there is any kind of reaction or not...so give a switch a good two weeks.

To answer your question...no I have not done it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• If you are switching brands only and not "type" (milk to soy), it is fine. Formula has strict FDA guidelines and they are basically the same. Your baby may notice a difference in taste, but that is all. My doctor told me if I switch from milk to soy, than give it a week or two before switching back, but there is no need to wean. Anytime you are unsure or uncomfortable, talk to yuor doctor, that's what they are there for.
    ellasmom08

Answer by ellasmom08 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2009