How can I get my small massage business off to a better start?

Ive been in business for only 3 months but things are only going down hill, Im only making enough money to keep my head above water.

softtouch213

Asked by softtouch213 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• Advertising!!! How are you advertising? The more people that know about you, the better! Also, give your current clients incentives, such as $5 off of their next appointment for every person that they refer to you. Go to a local hair salon or tanning salon, or doctor's office (if they will let you) and put up a clear plastic or glass bowl/jar and put up a sign for a weekly drawing for a free massage. They will put in their business card or information and you can e-mail or mail out quarterly specials or deals. :o) Good Luck and Don't give up! You'll get there!
    Rockenmooki

Answer by Rockenmooki at 11:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• see if local MOPS clubs will let you come massage for free to get your name out there.

Do you have traveling supplies so you can massage in diff. places or is it in your home or an office? make it more appealing and welcoming. change it up so people know you're in business and perhaps a fun place to visit...

my biggest fear when i see a massage parlor (being honest here) are those i have heard of in DC that do MORE than massage. that fear keeps me out...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• In order to have a successful business you must advertise! Whether its on the web, making flyers and business cards and posting them in grocery stores and anywhere else that has bulletin boards. Try that.
    Sexymom75

Answer by Sexymom75 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Go to http://www.sba.gov  as you can look for some assistance with them and you can even have them help you with your business with classes which I believe are free..  Advertising your business is the best way and since I am not sure what type of business you have if it's a trade you may want to advertise in a trade magazine..

michaelsmom2005

Answer by michaelsmom2005 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• word of mouth. discounts. advertising. people love discounts. the $5 dollar incentive is a great idea. people love money, and discounts. it can be low and people will still fall for it. try that out, it should work. try setting up accounts in myspace and popular places as such. or here if possible. what mom wouldn't want a massage????? i know i need one. just out of my budget. try lowering the cost so more people will come. you won't lose money, depending on how much you lower it. the more people you get the better. like i said, people love discounts. that could do it for you. (just a thought)
    x0x0mommyx0x0

Answer by x0x0mommyx0x0 at 2:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Offer some free massages (or even paid ones) at local events and expos. Give people coupons, or some other incentive, to come back and use your service again. Create a frequent customer card and give a discount, free product, or free massage on every 10th visit...or something like that. Good luck
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 9:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I am an independent affiliate for Global Domains International. They are an awesome company!! Look at my website it gives you all the info.
    http://www.freedomathome.ws

~Kelli
    kellibelle

Answer by kellibelle at 6:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2008

• I'm a therapist of 11 years. It takes the adverage LMT 2 years to build up a steady clientel. Keep in mind that word of mouth has turned to be the best advertizement. Tell your clients "i'm excited and just starting out, if you know of anyone who could use a massage please pass my card onto them" and hand them some flyers or business careds. Tell your clients what your speciltes are. If you do pregnancy massage but your only see Mr. Smith for his sore shoulders, he won't refer his pregnant co worker to you. Tell everyone you speak to what you do. Get it out there. Free seated massage or paid massage events can get your name out there. We did a drawing for a free half hour massage. We gave them out to everyone, some never called some came in and never came back and some made their apt. a whole hour paid the difference and became return clients. Hang in there!

massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 2:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009