Does LAZY EYE go away?

mybabyjr

Asked by mybabyjr at 8:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• im not sure. my son has an eye condition that makes his left eye look lazy (hes actually blind in his left eye) and i was told he would need surgery to correct it. maybe in the next year or so. i think glasses can help correct the problem but you would need an eye dr to confirm that
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• No, it does not. Not without treatment. If not treated, it gets worse.

My oldest has strabismus, but not amblyopia. His crossing is corrected with glasses. (we caught it at 3 and he's 5 now...may get out of glasses when he's 8-10)

My youngest has amblyopia (lazy eye). We tried patches and glasses first, but there was no correction at all and both eyes grew worse steadily. He had surgery in December at age 2. A month later, at his recheck, his right eye was crossing again, but very minutely. Glasses seem to be correcting it this time. (we caught his at 18 months, surgery at 2 years)

His eyes were so bad you couldn't tell what he was looking at and they would drift upwards when he looked to one side or the other.

If left untreated, it can lead to functional blindness in the eye.

Keep in mind...just because an eye turns in, doesn't mean it's amblyopia.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I have severe amblyopia in my left eye. It wasn't caught until I was 4. We did patches and drops and glasses. Nothing helped. Over the years it has progressively gotton worse until I have no true vision left in that eye. My son had amblyopis too..we caught his at a year and he is now without glasses. The surgery works..but it has to be caught early.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• NO!! I took my 4 yo to the eye doctor because his eye was "lazy" turning in, that quack had the nerve to tell me it just looked like it was because his eyes are so close together....I asked him if he got his medical degree from the cracker jack box and walked out of that office. Then I had a doctor told me to patch the eye, it will strengthen the weak muscles, again, walked out. I found a pediatric opthamologist from Cooks Childrens hospital, the awesome guru's, and here it goes. They did try the patch to see if his muscle strengthened and they measure the eye's movement (correction) if any, they do give that some time and if no improvement, they do surgery where they cut the muscle and "shorten" it. That is what happened to my son. You should NOT wait too long though because it will eventually effect their visual acuity. The brain will eventually tell the "lazy" eye not to work and cause eye sight loss! So NO to your ?

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• OH, my son was 3 at the time, surgery when he was 4, he is now 6.....I got those ages all messed up! lol lol
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It depends my son's eye was turning in and even though he does need glasses the doctor told me that as long as the eye isn't turning in more than 50% of the time they won't do anything except get glasses which he will get before he starts school at 5. It's been two years since that doctor's appt and I haven't seen his eye turn in since.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• No. And if it's bad enough, the brain will acutally stop trying to process the signals from that eye and he will go blind in that eye.
    If your child has any vision problems, take him (or her) in to an eye doctor. Try to find one who is good with kids. www.InfantSee.org can help you find one in your area.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• No, I am sorry to tell you that it doesn't. I have had a lazy eye ever since I was a child. And I still somewhat of a lazy today. I think it changes as you grown older but it never actually completely away!
    connorsmommy09

Answer by connorsmommy09 at 12:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my step-son has a lazy eye....it's corrected with glasses but if he doesn't wear them for a few hours it crosses until he puts his glasses back on.
    Carli26

Answer by Carli26 at 3:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• The brain not accepting impulses and "going blind" in that eye is functional blindness.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2009