How to make yeast rolls?

Have already tried three times,and thats three flops. The dough wont rise. What am I doing wrong? Please somebody help,before I pull my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!

drillsgt

Asked by drillsgt at 8:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• you probably got the water too hot and killed the yeast

Answer by admckenzie at 8:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I would agree that the water is probably too hot. If should be warm, but not hot. And not cold either. 100 degrees is about what it should be. Is your yeast old? If it doesn't bubble when you add warm water after about 5 minutes, then your yeast is dead and you need to buy new yeast. Here is the recipe that I use when making rolls, its the best one I've found. :) They turn out great every time! http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/2008/09/amazing-buttermilk-rolls.html
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 9:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• The water should be warm, not hot. Also check that your yeast is not expired, and don't add salt to the yeast as that kills it too. For my recipe I have warm water to which I add sugar, eggs, oil and some of the flour. Then I sprinkle the yeast on top, mix it in, then add the rest of the flour. Works every time. Oh and leave the dough to rise in a warm place.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Yep, as others have said..water too hot or too cold, old yeast or where you are putting it to rise is too cold or has movememt. I have a terrific recipe if you want it. Yeast is one of the few really fragile ingredients on the market. The shelf life is relatively short and when it is expired it is a crap shoot as to whether or not it is still good.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• For some reason I cant get it either. I've tried so many times and it just never works! My granny could make them perfect without measuring one single thing just dumping in the ingredients. Why cant I be more like her? lol
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 11:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i agree, warm water and add some sugar as the yeast will "eat it" and burp there for making the gas bubbles and the dough will rise.
    dita

Answer by dita at 12:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2009