I am suffering from PPD and its so hard for me to deal with it..I even have thoughts of hurting my baby...I wouldn't ever but it scares me...my doctor says its just intrusive thoughts but it makes me feel like I am going crazy. I hate it...I just want to be normal again!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was on Lexapro when I had PPD. It was wonderful. Sometimes I still had small anxiety attacks, but i stopped having thoughts of hurting myself....and i finally bonded with my daughter after nearly 2 months. If you aren't on meds, try them....a mom on medication is far better than a half functioning mama. i also read the book "Down Came the Rain"...by Brooke Shields...it was wonderful....I know she's not a professional or anything, but obviously she consulted them when writing the book...and she is a real mom, who went thru this stuff....it's hard mommy, I know....but you will get thru, and when you do, you'll be stronger for it. Good Luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Are you on medication and/or seeing a therapist hun?
    Anonymous

• If you and your Dr,knows you have PPD,then you need to be on some medication,and have someone to talk to.I hope you have help with the baby,and not doing it all alone,good luck sweety,and hang in there.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I am on Medication (depression and Anxiety) but sometimes it don't work for me...and I was seeing a therapist but not no more my insurance doesn't cover it. I decided to go to a place here where I live called paradise house and they are really sweet and are there when I need to talk to them...but only Wednesdays..what should I do?
    madysmommy1126

Answer by madysmommy1126 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I am on Zoloft and it helps...and does not hurt the baby if passed thru milk....ask your doc..he shouldve given you something for thoughts like that.
    Anonymous

• Try a new med. I have friends who went through a few different kinds. You will find one that works best for you! Do you have help with your baby? Do you belong to a church at all? Often you can go there and usually a pastor will talk to you. Or make friends on here to talk to. I know its not face to face but you should talk to some one. Feel free to pm me any time! I hope it gets better for you!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Do you have someone to watch the baby,so you can get out,for an evening?I wish I had an answer for you,just remember,It is not your fault,you are feeling this way.If the baby is crying,walk away,and go to another room,He /she will be OK.if you get to overwhelmed,please call someone,to help.Don't be afraid to ask for help. Good Luck,I will be praying for you.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Your hormones are out of whack honey, it's okay! I have suffered the baby blues with 3 of my 5 kids.....this will pass, but you need to balance back out your hormones. Go to your local natural foods store or call a homeopathic professional, they can tell you what herbs you need to take in addition to your meds that will help naturally balance you out. Hormones do a flippin number on us women, and if you don't get them back in sync it will last for years! You need to surround yourself with a great support group, friends / family who will be readily available willing to be there when you need to talk. If you have a local college, call their psychology department, they offer counseling from the students at a sliding scale (my dd went and it cost her $4). Stress the imperativeness of your dire ppd! And as always, you'll find Mom's on here, like me, who will be willing to let you PM us if you need to vent and need some

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Come here to talk....someone is always around. It sounds like you are on the ball-a great mom making choices to get some help. Can a friend or family member come by to help support you? What about hubby or boyfriend? I'd see your doctor again for a follow up, and see if your counselor can do a sliding pay scale based on what you can afford. What about keeping a journal? Write 3 good things and 3 things you want to improve on. Start small, and see where it takes you. Are there any new mom groups through your hospital? Those can get u out and about. What about sleep? Are you getting any? That was really hard on me when I had newborns. Hugs to you, and keep asking and taking support.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• How long have you been on these meds, some antidepressants take several weeks to feel the full effect, if it has been more than a month and not much relief, go back to your Dr. and get a diffrent type of antidepressant
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009