What are some things I can to to potty train my daughter and how do I tell if it is time?

XperfectmommyX

Asked by XperfectmommyX at 9:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • When my daughter turned 3 I just put her in undies. I bought the padded ones that absorbed some of it but not all. She only peed on herself about 3 or 4 times and did not like it one bit. She decided the potty was a much better option :)
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 9:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• the signs: dry when she wakes up from bed/nap, dry when she's done with her meals/snacks, tells you when she's wet/poopy, takes her diaper off when she want to be changed, or tries to change herself.

How: set a timer for every hour (or half hour if you'd like) and every time it goes off, it's potty time. make sure you make a big deal about it, so she's excited about it. if she pees in the potty, give her a sticker or a treat, like an m&m or minimarshmellow. if she goes poop in the potty she gets 2 treats. or you can make a sticker chart.

This could work, or not. it all depends on your LO. like the pp said, sometimes all you have to do is get some real underwear and they figure out they hate being wet. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Here's my list of signs:
    Some of the signs:
    Not liking a dirty diaper is a minor sign. A brand new baby doesn't like sitting in a poopy diaper either but can't say so.
    Staying dry for 2 or more hours at a time is a sign. Staying dry overnight is not. 20% of all 5 year olds wet the bed but are fully potty trained.
    You can tell when your child is about to go. This may be a funny look on the face, a funny posture, or hiding.
    Your child:
    -can follow simple 2-step directions... go to your room and bring me your toy car
    -can communicate basic needs, with words or gestures
    -poops at predictable times
    -can pull off simple elastic waist pants
    -loves to watch others use the potty
    -is in a "ME DO!" phase and you let him try
    -will sit still for a short story
    You have no major household disruptions planned for at least 2 months. No vacations, no visitors, no new pets or babies.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• The more signs, the quicker and easier training will go.
    The easiest thing to do no matter how old, no matter how many signs she shows, is to take her every 1/2 hour to hour. Once she accidently goes, make a big fuss over her. As she gains control, you can lengthen the time between visits up to about 2 hours. You can switch to panties or just keep taking her diaper off. Panties worked best for us.

Do not expect her to go on her own or ask to go for months. Do not ask her if she needs to go, just tell her "it's time. At first, she may say "yes". Then she'll learn that saying "yes" means leaving her toys and play. The horror! Who knows what will happen to the toys while she's gone! So she will say "no" when you ask or wil delay going on her own until it is too late. Accidents are common into early grade school. Make sure she goes every couple hours or when she starts the "potty dance" for at least a year.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• And don't forget, daytime potty training has ZERO to do with nightime dryness. Keep putting a diaper or pullup on her until she is dry for one week in a row when she gets up in the morning.

Do not attempt any "night time training" or water restrictions until she has been fully daytime potty trained for 6 months.

Many kids self-train for night when learning for day. Many don't. Bedwetting is common, can be heriditary, and is not a medical problem until about 6 or 7 years old.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• We put the potty chair in the living room, she was really curious about it and had herself potty trained at 18 months! Our son was a whole other story, it finally happened at three. Hurray!

Lark280

Answer by Lark280 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I would say that one of the biggest thing with potty training is not to force the child. If she shows interest then let her try the potty, but if she's not interested in it, then it might be wise to wait a few weeks or so.
    When you do start, make it a positive experience, sit her on the potty for a little while and sing songs or read a short book. If she goes, reward her immediately with lots of praise. After she's used to the idea of going potty in the potty, you can make a reward system where she gets a sticker/treat/etc when she 'goes' (only if she does something on the potty).
    And remember, while its frustrating, its a lot harder for your child than for you. Make sure you don't get upset with her if she doesn't go, or has an accident. It's important that she associates the toilet with good things.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:03 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• yeah, I wanted to add that Kaycee has lots of good tips! One possible way to avoid the 'no', I don't want to leave what I'm doing' phase is to allow her to bring a couple of her toys in to the bathroom with her. Set her dolls up to read a book with her or let a car or two drive up and down her legs while she sits.
    This may or may not work, just a suggestion to avoid making potty training a conflict for your girl.
    Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009