My six-year-old twins pick on their two-year-old brother non-stop. Does anyone have any advice on how I can make this stop in a calm way without upsetting any of the children?

my daughters constantly tease their little brother and so far i haven't been able to make them stop. suggestions???

AngieCate

Asked by AngieCate at 10:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Lightly smack the backside of their heads. When they say "hey, why'd ya do that?" say " hey, it's not fun when older people pick on you, is it?" "Now stop picking on your younger brother and go sit in the corner."
    frazzledmrs

Answer by frazzledmrs at 6:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Have you sat the 6 year olds down quietly and let them know that it's not okay to pick on their brother and that it upsets him. They're old enough to understand this surely, let them know that he is little and therefore cannot defend himself as they can. Yes sibling rivalry is normal but let them know that the age difference makes this unfair, maybe show them there are consequences everytime they pick on him? As in whatever way you normally 'punish' them. Good Luck with this.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• what consequences have you used so far?

No TV? No Computer? Charge them 50 cents each time? (If they get an allowance/have money)

clean his bedroom and change his sheets? Mop the kitchen? Weed the Garden?
    The manual labor consequences always worked best with my kids.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• ah the age old question- how to keep the bigger sibs from tormenting the lil one without picking sides or being forced to punish all the time..... nope, there is no good way to make an omelet without cracking a few eggs.... I will tell you what worked for me but there is no guarantee it will work for you.... everytime anyone squeals or cries etc- they ALL go to time out rugs ( we ran out of corners), I set the time out timer and no one makes a sound til it dings or I start it over, seems harsh cuz the lil guy gets screwed too but it is fair and will teach him not to be so whiny about every little annoying thing they do thus, they will not enjoy bugging him so much and they wont get a chance to say "uh, but mooom, he did this!" don't accept any excuses, make sure they know it will happen every time and eventually the behavior gets less and less disrupting and eventually goes away (almost)
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 5:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• thanks everyone. i will try some of these approaches :)
    AngieCate

Answer by AngieCate at 10:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2009