• In the Spotlight:

is he below average?

My son brycen is going to be 9mons march 6th, and he still doesnt hold his bottle on his own, at all. He used to act like he was trying to, around 6-7 mons, and now he's back to like he was before then. Is that normal? What can I do to get him to try to hold it? We also bought him some bottles with handles, but he wont try those either.

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well my stepmom always says he should be holding it by now, and stuff like that because he grandson "held his since 3 months", and yeah he does everything else, he crawls and talks, and pulls himself up onto the furniture, but I was just kind of wanting him to be able to, its not that I dont want to bond with him, I just wanted to know that it wasnt because he couldnt, its just because he doesnt want to i guess. but thanks for all your awnsers.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Why does he need to hold his bottle? The bottle is a modern invention to replace the breast, and baby never need to hold the breast on their own and feed themselves. Being able to hold your own bottle is not a developmental milestone like sitting, standing, crawling etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• some babies are slower than others you can out him in his car seat and prop his bottle up with a blanket or something but keep an eye on him that will help him learn to hold it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My ds will be 9 months on march 8th and does not hold his bottle either. Its not a "milestone" so no are babies ar enot below average. Mine looks like he wants to at times but never really has. Some babaies just want to be fed I think. Trust me I have been waiting for the day when my ds holds his own bottle! I have tried the sippy cup with 2 handles and no luck there. At this point I just have to wait until he is ready. Although I would like it to be sooner rather than later!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 10:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I don't think it means he's behind. My dd hated the tip up sippy cups at that age. She went strait to a straw. She was breastfed though, but I wouldn't expect her to have been able to hold a bottle at 9 months. Feeding time is bonding time! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• my little girl has been holding hers well since at least 6 months if not before. i would probably talk to my doctor about it. encourage your baby to do it on his own. does he sit up on his own? does he do the other milestones. they say by that age they should be starting to want to hold their own cup to drink....so i would talk to my doctor myself. i wouldnt freak out or anything.

my baby is 8 monts tomorrow and didnt role over that much until about a month ago. but she was wanting to stand and everything else already.

you can bond with your baby during feeding time without holding their bottle for them. and when i breast fed for the first two weeks she held me....so close enough. lol.

it will be okay. just do what you think is best and ask your doctor for help if you are concerned.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• if he is meeting all the other milestones i wouldnt worry........................if you are unsure ask your pediatrician.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 6:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My son will be 8 months old on the 4th and he refuses to hold his bottle. I wouldn't worry about it, some babies just don't want to do it.
    WhiskerLickins

Answer by WhiskerLickins at 9:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My daughter never held hers and she's been just fine. I wouldn't worry about it as long as they he is meeting the actual milestones.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• maybe babay is not ready to that indepenedent yet ... every baby seems to learn different and at a different pase ... your baby is fine just a little lazy lol boys seem to be that way.... mine is getting ready to be 1 and doesnt talk much but he is more into moveing around (he has been waling since he was 9 months and 2 weeks old) i just look at it as if he really has nothing to to say at this time !! your doing great just keep trying he will do it soon
    mom_since08

Answer by mom_since08 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2009