Why spank a child?

Why do people think its okay to spank, swat, smack, or

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hitting a child is wrong. Hitting ANYONE is wrong. Its assault. And to do it to young babies is WORSE!
    Anonymous

• its dicipline we're not being abusive it hurt their feelinggs that is all
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I spank because I believe its a good way to convey the message that I am in charge. I NEVER hurt my child, only a good scare. My kids are 3 and 5 and let me tell you, they are SOOO well mannered and understand that when words come out of my mouth. I mean it. And spanking is one of MANY disicplines that I use to teach that.

When I spank it is in calmness and with purpose. I tell them what they have done wrong. I tell them what they should have done and why. I teach them as well.

But so many times today you see parents not teaching about consequences for actions and that creates a brat. Behavior = consequence. and sometimes that consequence is unpleasant. Sorry to all the froo froo "happy" all the time moms, discipline is unpleasant.
    Anonymous

• i agree with the above posts. i have tried everything else with my son and he doesnt respond to any of it
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• so its okay to "scare": your kids into listening to you? Isn't your trust enough?
    Anonymous

• i think different kids respond to different things. my SKs were 3 and 6 when i became involved in their life and spanking was already and accepted and used form of punishment. i did not do it for awhile because i didnt want to over step my bounds. the oldest rarely.....and i mean RARELY ever gets spanked. the youngest is now almost 5 and gets spanked more often. however this is not the only form of punishment used.

also, we do not teach that hitting in a broad sense is wrong. my SS the youngest and his BM and daddy play fight all the time. we do teach that he should not play fight in school because there is a time and a place for everything.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Hitting=assault. I can't believe spanking is legal. I wish it wasn't. I feel bad for kids, especially the tiny ones. (2 and under) that get HIT.
    Anonymous

• I find it sad that parents these days cannot think of more positive non violent ways of disciplining and teaching their kids.
    Anonymous

• anon 1009

your trust does not get your kids to listen to you.....if you think it does, i think you are lying to yourself.

whenever he does things wrong we give him a warning that if he does it again something else will happen (stand in the corner, go to room, take a nap, spanking...etc). even if spanking wasn't an option.....these are all "scare" tactics.

please explain to me how you don't "scare" your kids into behaving
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I got spanked. And didn't turn out any better than kids who weren't lol. I really don't think it made a difference and it doesn't in alot of people who got spanked. It made me upset,fearful and rebellious. It didn't make me a "better" kid or make me behave. I just got sneakier. LOL..
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2009