Pro Gun mommas only please!

Do you have guns in your house? How safe are they? Gun locks, trigger locks, safe? Where do you keep it/them? do your kids know about them? How old are your kids?

Momma2beauties

Asked by Momma2beauties at 10:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• we have our .357 loaded with full metal jackets and chambered in a keypad safe. we can have access to it in under 5 seconds, but the kids don't know the combo. this is our home safety weapon. we also have a gun in each car. locked up and unloaded we have shot guns, .22 hunting rifles, and 2 SKS semi-automatic rifles (a czhek army rifle). my dh just ordered the new baretta 90Two today as well - while he can still buy one with a 17 round clip.
    My children are 5 and 7. The 7 yo has fired a number of our weapons at the range, and our dd will when she is big enough. They are taught gun safety and the purpose of guns and have been drilled to haul ass if anyone picks up a gun around them (as in a dumb ass friend etc). they know guns have the ability to kill and that they require respect and knowledge. We let them hold the guns (unloaded and open of course) in order to demystify them.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My husband is a hunter so we have guns in the house. Right now they're in our closet but we are getting a gun safe when we get our taxes. My son is 6 months old. I don't know much about them except that they're not loaded.
    Anonymous

• Bang Bang!!
    Anonymous

• ours are pretty safe there in the closet on the shelf.. my son is only 2 so we don't have to worry about that just yet...no, no locks only because if someone ever tried to break in, that few seconds might make all the difference
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My dad collected guns. I grew up with them. I started shooting with him when I was young. I have now inherited his guns so my children will grow up with them... I grew up FEARING/ Respecting GUNS. None was under lock & key.. I will lock our guns up because of other kids/ robbery/ect (and i dont want my kids taken away because of "neglect").. but my children will learn as i did. I am an adult but I still hold a gun with just as much fear & respect as I did when I was 10.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• wow, julian in that state of california we have to have our guns locked up with the key in a seperate place and the bullets in a seperate place. That way if a burgular breaks in we need to run all about to get everything together to defend ourselves. What state do you live in? We should probably move there.
    We learned about respect for guns and of course that all guns must be treated as if they're loaded. We were out shooting targets with my dad when we were 8. My dad was cleaning his guns almost every night.
    Gun locks are very safe, and if you feel most comfortable with your guns locked away, they'd be more than happy to help you at a gun store with figuring out what works out best for you and your family.
    Definitely teach your children about guns. Having them take a gun safety class would be great, but certainly not necessary.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I have an air bb gun. I want a real gun though.. No kids at home. I never want to be in a situation where I cannot defend myself.
    Anonymous

• I don't have a gun in my house, but I am pro gun. I have seriously never learned how to shoot a gun (unless you count my beebee gun), and I can't say that we'll never own one. I grew up with guns in the house, and they weren't locked up. The bullets were kept in a separate place, but my brother and I both have respect for the gun. We knew the dangers, and we were never to touch them. And neither one of us have ever touched any of my dad's guns without permission.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• We have a 12 gauge Mossberg Persuader, and a 17 HMR hunting rifle (my 12 yr olds gun) Our 12 yr old took the gun safety course and so will our 5 and 6 yr old when the time comes... We keep the HMR taken apart and everything seperate.. The shot gun gets loaded at night when I go to bed and unloaded when I get up. It's where I can get to it quickly, it's our choice to have one for home defense. I know how to use it, and I would hate to be on the other end, I'm a good shot,lol Although you don't really have to be with the 12 gauge,lol We also have a 96 lb German Shepherd that doesn't like strangers,lol We live in the country and I don't trust the local meth heads...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Guns are locked in one cabinet, bullets are in a separate place. We've had them since our children were born (hubby's a hunter) and they knew that Daddy's gun room was OFF LIMITS. Neither of them ever had the notion to go in there or to want to show friends Daddy's guns. I think part of that safety was that we knew where our children were whenever they were in our home. Another part was that we talked gun safety all the time. Guns aren't toys and weren't touted as such. They were a serious tool for hunting.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2009