Does Marijuana have Medical Value?

Joycelyn Elders, MD wrote in a Mar. 26, 2004 editorial published in the Providence Journal: "The evidence is overwhelming that marijuana can relieve certain types of pain, nausea, vomiting and other symptoms caused by such illnesses as multiple sclerosis, cancer and AIDS, or by the harsh drugs sometimes used to treat them. And it can do so with remarkable safety. Indeed, marijuana is less toxic than many of the drugs that physicians prescribe every day."

Shall I post more? Yes, I shall....

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Lester Grinspoon, MD, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, wrote in a Mar. 1, 2007 editorial in the Boston Globe titled "Marijuana as Wonder Drug":
    "It is a sad commentary on the state of modern medicine -- and US drug policy -- that we still need 'proof' of something that medicine has known for 5,000 years. [...]

Marijuana is effective at relieving nausea and vomiting, spasticity, appetite loss, certain types of pain, and other debilitating symptoms. And it is extraordinarily safe -- safer than most medicines prescribed every day. If marijuana were a new discovery rather than a well-known substance carrying cultural and political baggage, it would be hailed as a wonder drug."
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Oh, and for those who are 100% Dem and/or support Obama and his cabinet:

Nancy Pelosi, Congressional Representative (D-CA) at the time of the quote, said in her official "Statement in Support of Hinchey Amendment to Allow the Use of Marijuana for Medicinal Purposes" to the U.S. House of Representatives on July 18, 2001:
    "Proven medicinal uses of marijuana include alleviation of some of the most debilitating symptoms of AIDS, including pain, wasting, and nausea. These benefits also improve the quality of life for patients with cancer, with MS, and other severe medical conditions."
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• And, finally....

Kaiser Permanente stated in their Apr. 1997 patient newsletter:
    Medical guidelines regarding the prudent use of marijuana should be established... Unfortunately, clinical research on potential therapeutic uses for marijuana has been difficult to accomplish in the United States, despite reasonable evidence for the efficacy of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and marijuana as anti-emetic and anti-glaucoma agents and the suggestive evidence for their efficacy in the treatment of other medical conditions, including AIDS.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• So, now, for all of you who have expressed your fear and dissatisfaction on legalizing medical marijuana, tell me - can you honestly say that there is NO medical benefit that should keep MJ from being legalized?
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Absolutely it does. It is the only thing that I can safely take that helps my migraines. It is the only way I could eat when I struggled with anorexia and depression. And it prolonged life and improved quality of life for my friend who was dying of cancer. Anyone who says it has no medical value has no idea what they're talking about.
    Anonymous

• Well, then, there are a helluva lot of moms on here tonight who obviously do not know what they're talking about! I've seen it in a few other posts, which is why I decided to post a few findings by authorities on MJ. I'm glad, anon 10:49, that it is helping you get through so much!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• You preach it girl!!!!!!! You speak the truth and anyone who opens their mind enough to take 10 seconds to look it up would have to agree. Unfortunately alot of ladies (I use that term loosely) on here would rather regurgitate the misinformation the nuns in grade school told them then learn the truth.
    Anonymous

• I did not mean to post anon. That was me above.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 11:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It does serve a purpose medically that other forms of current medications cannot necessarily handle. Lets say you have cancer. It can increase your appetite when you don't want to eat but are loosing necessary pounds that will help keep you alive, it decreases your risk of getting constipated - other pain meds make you very constipated, and it also helps keep someone from having high anxiety. Anxiety can also complicate existing pain or even cause pain. Not to mention control and reduce pain. So there is no doubt we have a medication at our finger tips that is cheap and effective.

Anonymous

• I believe it does have medical value but where is it coming from and how does anyone know it hasn't been laced with something?

Anonymous