Thoughts on Mirena (birth control)??

I'm thinking about starting mirena when my third child is born (in June). I've heard some horror stories and also heard of some good experiences. I just want some fresh opinions/experiences to help me make my decision. Thank you!!

SoniaNYC

Asked by SoniaNYC at 11:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Health

• I h ave an IUD and im content with it. This might be TMI but there's stuff you want to know since you're asking, so i'll let you know. When I get my period it's HEAVY for two days. It's gotten better in the past year since I first got the IUD but it's still heavier than it ever was before in my life. It'll last for maybe 4 days if that total, then after 2-3 days it'll come back really light for maybe 2 days. It's not bad, but weird. And the cramps are far more painful then they ever were before.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i have a Mirena, I don't have a period with it. It's awesome. i've had no problems at all. Every now and then, I'll spot for a few hours...that's about it. The only thing about it that I don't like is since I've been off the pill and using it, my acne is back.
    Anonymous

• I've had mirena for about a year and half. i love it. i havent had a period since i had it put in, no cramping or anything like that either.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Man. I must be the only one with a period! Everyone always told me you didn't get one with the depo shot, and I did. I'm a little jealous now..lol.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I loved it for the first 3 years then I started having a period 2-3 times a month and breaking out like I'm a freakin teenager and started gaining weight. I had it removed about a month ago and I stopped breking out and lost the weight that I gained.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 11:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i've had the mirena for 3 & 1/2 years now and no problems, no pregnancies. lol. i also don't get my period with it, which i'm not too crazy about but i have spotted once or twice in the few years i've had it. i am going on 43 and wanted to get my tubes tied. my female gyn actually told me i should just get another one put in after the five years and after the 5 years for the second one i shouldn't need b/c anymore. it's something i'm still thinking about instead of the surgery. good luck! ~blue
    momofapreemie

Answer by momofapreemie at 11:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Love it! It is the best BC that there is in m y opinion. I am on my second one. Had #1 for 5 years, had baby #4 and just got another in oct. I have no systemic side effects like weight gain, acne, moodiness, etc. I am nursing, so I have no period either and I suspect that I won't have a period again til I have it taken out!
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 11:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I think the natural process of the female body is all too often manipulated to the degree of damaging the very fibers that are elemental in our anatomical choreography. In other words, it's not always necessary to rush out and get "on the pill" or "get fixed" or iud. Almost everyone I have met outside my circle is "into" that anti pregnancy stuff. There are easier things that are much more safe and just as effective on the delicate female form. It just breaks me heart when these young girls are "on the pill" from the start of their menstruation and there on until they see menopause. No one should alter the body in such a way unless it is severely medically necessary.
    Shamanmom

Answer by Shamanmom at 2:05 AM on Mar. 1, 2009