weird bf question may be tmi

I was unable to Bf my son because my mom told the drs that i needed to be on meds right away which didnt help anyways, but this time around I want to bf and my mom wont have a say in it.. but i dont know if i would be able to or not and heres why: when I was 18 i got my nipples peirced just becuase i felt like it and i could.. i took them out a year later so they have been out for about 4 years.. but i still have the scars.. i was just wondering if these would inferfere with the feeding or latching process... has anyone BF and had old nipple ring scars?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lots of women successfully breastfeed with nipple piercings. It probably won't cause a problem. If I were you, I would contact a lactation consultant and start a relationship, maybe take a breastfeeding class, so that you have the info and support you will need.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• it may interfere, it may not, you won't know until you try. it just depends on if they pierced through the ducts or missed them.
    Anonymous

• i have had mine done and i still have milk come out of mine i don't see why not!!!
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Here's a good read:  http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/51161

In short, the answer is that the piercings should have to effect on your ability to bf at all.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• ...er, umm no effect, not "to effect'.

damb martinis.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i had my nipples pierced 3 times before i had my 4 y/o and i breastfed her. sometimes milk would actually come out of the piercing hole too! lol. i think it depends on how your body scarred from it but i don't think it will be a problem. you are making a great choice. good luck! ~blue
    momofapreemie

Answer by momofapreemie at 11:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i dont think you will have a prob good luck i think blue frog has some great ideas!!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 6:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I had mine done like 8 years ago and haven't noticed any issues with BF.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 1:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2009