Do you decorate your mailbox?

If so do you decorate the box itself also how about the bottom of the pole. (for those of you who have this type of mailbox) Ours is at the curb on a wooden pole.

I would like to make it look nice and at the bottom I have noticed some people plant stuff around it or put some kind of brick or whatever. What do you have?

Looking for ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My Grammy has a lovely circle of flowers around the base pole of her mailbox and I've always liked that.
    Our mailbox post is on the edge of the culvert so there is no way to plant or decorate around the base of it and I thought of attaching a flowerbox to the back part of the post that sticks out behind the mailbox, but then I thought of my husband's allergies to beestings and my daughter's allergies to pollen and wondered if I'd be putting my mail delivery person in danger so we probably won't plant anything.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:16 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• We have a hanging plant hook attached to the back of ours, its pretty, its iron with a bird in the middle of it. Hubby thought it was silly at first until he saw a plant hanging on it and then said, hey thats nice... I plan to plant patunias (sp?) around the base this spring, they can live thru anything,lol And they get really full.
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Flagfables.com
    And take it from a postal worker, do not put flowering vines on your mailbox, postal workers get stung all the time.
    Anonymous

• My mailbox is just on a post too and it is close to the road, so you cannot plant anything around it. I'm with the postal worker I would not want to plant something that would draw bees to sting them. I have actually painted my mailbox with designs of flowers, birds, and crosses.
    jlaney

Answer by jlaney at 7:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I have petunias all over around our house, patio, pool, mailbox, never had a problem with bees,lol And I guess I would know,lol I get the mail everyday and water all the others everyday during the summer and have never seen any... I guess it depends on the kind of flower thats planted, or hanging there...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2009