My parents refuse to call our son by his name

My parents are driving me crazy because they don't like the name we have picked out for our son. So they call him 'peanut'. That was cute with the first ultra sound but get over it. It's not a bad name it's Damian. They are so embarrassed by his name when someone asks his name they jump in and tell them peanut! We work together and its getting harder to ignore...any suggestions?

dmansmama

Asked by dmansmama at 11:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That is my son's middle name and I for one love it. When it comes to your parents and what they are doing, tell them it's not their place to decide nor is it their place to answer that question when you're asked. You're not a child and it's not fair for them to treat you that way. Be firm with them, if they can't respect that it's your decision on a name, what else are they going to interfere with once the baby is born? Tell them to respect the choices you make or have limited contact with the baby once Damian is born.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 11:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• if they cant respect you and ur wishes dont talk to them about the baby til they learn to respect you
    Anonymous

• TELL THEM TO GET OVER IT ITS NOT THERE KIDS AND ITS HIS NAME THEY DON'T LIKE IT THEN DON'T COME AROUND HIM OMG ITS JUST A NAME I LIKE IT BY THE WAY
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I would tell them that hes not 6 weeks gestational anymore to get over it and call him by his name. And if they dont like it they dont have to see him! Thats disrespectful and I wouldnt put up with it!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 11:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• And btw that name is adorable!!! i really like it.
    JmgBlair

• I think you need to get over it (not them)- so what if they wanna call him Peanut- it's just a nickname. Why is it so anoying to you? Dont you prob. think its anoying you nag them to call him Damien. He'll out grow the Peanut phase and be called his reg. name- its just a phase and they grow so fast.
    My family does not call DD by her name but a nickname but it dont bug me at all. She'll be older soon enough and tell them herself wether or not she likes it. For now its cute.
    Anonymous

• Why does she need to get over it Anon? It's her kid and her right to not have him called peanut what if someone nicknamed your kid something that bothered you? You'd just get over it? You're failing to see the bigger picture
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Anon 11:56, according to the OP's question, they're not doing it because it is cute, they are doing it because they'd rather her pick a different name. It's very disrespectful and undermines her as a parent...and she's not even a parent yet. This situation is a little different than just an annoying nickname.

OP, my FIL (whose name is Bill) does a similar thing. We chose to name our son after my DH and my grandfather (Matthew Raymond). My FIL calls my son "Billy." It makes me feel as though my FIL wanted us to name our son after him or something...I'm not sure. The only thing that you can do is correct it when it happens. You can't argue with them over it; it is a waste of time and will only stress you out. When someone asks and they say "Peanut" simply answer overtop and say "no, it is Damian." Eventually they should tire of being corrected and will call him by his name lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Answered at 12:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Why does she need to get over it Anon? It's her kid and her right to not have him called peanut what if someone nicknamed your kid something that bothered you? You'd just get over it? You're failing to see the bigger picture Report this answer

UNLES SOMEONE CALLED MY DAUGHTER A SNOT NOSED BOOGER BRAT- IT WOULDNT BOTHER ME.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My son's name is Damien (spelled this way) I LOVE his name and it is nothing to be ashamed of. I got teased by stupid people the first month or so, but people got use to it and started to relate the name to him. TGhey will start getting use to once they see him. Don't worry. My suggestion is to show them the meaning of the name. Let them know that there was St. Damian who was a missionary in Hawaii that helps children. Have a real heart to heart talk with them and let them know that this is the name you chose and that you need their support and to take some pride the the name that he is going to have for the rest of his life.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2009