Do you give your child a binky?

Why or why not? How old are they?

ArmyWifeNewMom

Asked by ArmyWifeNewMom at 12:32 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Kind of OT but my daughter has a blanket she calls "Binky" because my mom called it that once and it stuck. Anyway when were are out she will tell people " I have a binky at home," ( she is 3.5) and people will start in on this whole pacifier lecture !!! I hate having to explain it's a blanket.

Anyway yes I gave both kids pacifiers. I was much more tentative with my first born, but it didn't confuse his breastfeeding. He ended up being a thumb sucker. With my second she loved her paci's. She accidentally weaned herself when she was sick as a baby though LOL

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my son still has one, hes 22 months.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I recently took my son's away from him, he just turned 3 but up until then he only had it at sleep times it was his security blanket. I didn't mind giving it to him, despite the opinions of other people it made him happy and ensured that i got eight hrs of sleep a night
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• no, DS2 never liked them. DS1, we weaned him completely off of them at 12 months. We had weaned him down to only using them during nap/night time, but knew that he *could* sleep without them.
    -Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 12:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• We did with both of ours. Our son was weaned by 6 months, and our daughter by 11 months. I see nothing wrong with it. If your 3 year old loves his/her binky, give it to em!!
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• i give my baby girl one and she dont even want it all the time just when shes really mad or to help her go to sleep who cares what other people think its ur kid(s) not theirs next time someone says something tell them shut up i didnt ask for your avice
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 1:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my daughter had one from 2 months til 8 months...i hate the way they look in a kids mouth!! i mean i can understand if a kid needs it to get to sleep..but when the child is crying and the parents just stick it in their mouths to shut them up..thats sooo wrong!! why not take a couple minutes a cuddle with the crying child!! i also dont think kids should have them past 18 months..well..ideally id say 1 year,,but 18 months at the latest!! and if your kid is like 2-3-4years old running around with one in his/her mouhts, damn right youre gonna get a nasty look from me!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I chose to give my son a pacifier because I did not want him to grow up sucking his fingers.

My belief is simple... You can take away a child's pacifier, but not their hand.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 7:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My kids are older now (my youngest is 8) but two of my kids had paci's and the other two wanted nothing to do with them.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yes all of them. My youngest is almost 3 and we took it about 5 mos ago.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2009