How Do I Start Potty Training??

I would like to try and start potty training my 21 month old daughter. She shows all the signs that shes ready i just dont know how to start. I have talked to her about the potty and sat her on it but she doesn't go she just wants off. I dont know what to say or do?? Any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is still plenty of time, take it slowly and just get her familiar and comfortable with the potty seat, work in small baby steps one thing at a time. You can also try those picture potty and me books they worked great for my son.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Join the three day potty training group. I started working with my daughter when she was 18 months old . She will be 2 at the end of April and she is doing really well. She even sits on the big toilet without one of those potty seats on top. She has to go about every 20-30 minutes, but I'm ok with that. Good luck.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 1:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Sounds like she not ready. Just give her time and don't force it. She will resist more if you make her. Keep encouraging and keep rewarding when she does do it. Don't be in too much of a hurry. It will take longer if you do.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I would love to know too i have a 21 month old also so if you get an answer let me know too please
    tasha724

Answer by tasha724 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I am reading a book called How to Potty Train before Age Two. It says, That you can start at any age . Any baby is ready at any time. That keeping them in a diaper is more cruel than, tryin to get them to use the potty at a young age!! I mean would you want to sit in your crap or pee, until someone finally notice's you stink and then funally changes you. So yea, go for it. Bring her in there with you. Get a a little potty, not a potty seat, try the small potty first. I mean think about it, if you were little as she is. And someone wanted you to sit on a huge white thing with a hole. i wold be scared I would fall in, LOL. Look at it through a child's perspective. Anyways, allways be enthuased and encouraging. Make the potty fun and exciting, even though you really don't care for it, LOL. If you act exciting about , then they'll want to join in. Read a book to her while in there, or be crative. But yea any baby is ready, Goodlu
    SapphireRain88

Answer by SapphireRain88 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Good Luck!!! I hoped this Helped and you can alwayz read up about it. Or rent dvd's from the library on it. Its free , why not right!!!
    SapphireRain88

Answer by SapphireRain88 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I thought my twins were ready at 21 mos but they were not. They're 27 mos now and still not quite ready so we're waiting for warmer weather to make things a bit "easier".

What we did try for a while is to put them on the potty at bathtime since they were already naked. Sometimes they'd sit and sometimes not. Neither ever had any successes.

Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• i put my daughter on the potty for the first time when she was 1 and said pee pee she wanted off but i wanted to show her it was okay i made her sit on the potty till she peed now she says pee pee when she has to go she is now 16 months old
    111807mom

Answer by 111807mom at 8:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009