Do you spank your kids?

If so, for what types of things? I know the bible says "spare the rod, spoil the child" But In my own OP its not meant to be taken literally. Please drama free.. no bashing others!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If I have to tell her over and over and over to stop doing something, and she keeps doing it, I'll give her a spanking and make her sit in her room for about 2-5 minutes.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yes I spanked. My kids are just fine. But, I can tell you this... I never had one embarrasment in public... my kids knew when I meant business. I cannot stand to see a child act up in public and then have the parents stand there and count. It makes them look very stupid. I would just pick that kid up and whallup his butt! Never had that issue with mine. Never had to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• no
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Proponents of spanking quote the adage, "Spare the rod and spoil the child," as though it were actually scripture from the Bible. In truth, it is NOT.
    The adage is an adaptation from six verses from King Solomon's book of Proverbs:
    He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. (Proverbs 13:24)
    Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying. (Proverbs 19:18)
    Both of these verses appear in the Contrast of Goodness and Evil. From the Warnings and Instructions come the following four verses:
    Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. (Proverbs 22:15)
    15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame. 17 Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul. (Proverbs 29:15, 17)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You will not find in the Bible the exact words of the "proverb" you hear today. Instead, you will hear King Solomon's contrast of good and evil and his warnings and instructions. Consider the message of the verses.
    In 13.24 you find that if you do not discipline your child, you hate him. If you love him, you discipline him when necessary. *Note that the word for "rod" here is the same word as "frond", meaning then a palm branch, not the iron rod with which the kings ordered prisoners flogged.
    In 19.18 you find that you should chastise your child early while he is still impressionable (good). (Evil) You should not fail (spare) to chastise your child because he cries or is remorseful.
    In 22.15 you find that a child is not born with a moral compass or the knowledge to know his actions are folly. Discipline will teach him.
    In 23.13 you find that if you discipline your child to teach him values and morals, he will not fall
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• of the child and parent alike. Solomon does not profess that the use of the "rod" is enough. He states that the reproof is necessary to teach the child. Finally, Solomon assures parents that if they will raise their children to be lawful members of the society, they will bring great joy.
    Many parents who use either these Scriptures or the adage in the discipline of their children find out that Solomon was onto something. When you begin the discipline with the physical, which the child can understand, you will get to a point where the reproof is all you need. Know that in absence of understanding of speech, pain is the receptor implanted in the human body to warn of ill action.
    Finding of remorse or fear of retribution is inadequate as discipline. Children will cry in the face of consequences to actions. This should not deter the parent from discipline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• hellz ya i do!! but only once in a blue moon, if shes refusing to listen to me, and after ive tried everything else!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• No. I could never spank my son.My parents never spanked me, and i dont think its right to hit your kids!
    Anonymous

• Regardless of religious pursuit, parents are the ones with the responsibility to discipline their children. Parents are also warned that if they fail their children, those children will bring shame upon them. This fact is bared in today's society, as it was in the past. Parents are given options on how to discipline their children. Ultimately, the parents must make the choice.

I'm sorry it was so long but I wanted to make it clear.
    In conclusion. The bible does not say that but I wrote some verses that the bible actually does say. To answer your question I believe in spanking when needed, if other alternatives fail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I spank. If she doesn't listen and warnings, time outs, and taking it away doesn't halp a spanking gets the job done. I agree with anon 1157! My child has never acted up iin public and is well behaved at friend's houses. In our house spankings work.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 1:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2009