What's going on with my cat?

I have 2 cats, one male who is about a year and a half, and a female (his mom). The male, for the past week and half or so, has been...well...best word I can think of is YOWLING at the doors and windows day and night. It's only when he's at the doors or windows though, and he has also gotten more aggressive with the mother cat at times. The mother is spayed, and he is not neutered, so I am wondering if this has something to do with it, or maybe if there is another male cat in the area he thinks is threatening his territory or something because I notice he has been leaving his scent on things around the house alot more now than he ever did. Any input?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Pets

• kimaam is right, it sounds like he's in heat. he'll continue leaving his scent (it's called spraying) as long as there is a female cat around. it doesn't even matter if yours is fixed, they can smell other females that are outside etc. even if he's not getting out. the only way to cure that is getting him fixed, which i opt for with every animal i have.... because if you get your pets fixed that is one less animal contributing to over population and eventual death of THOUSANDS of unwanted animals every day. (not to sound preachy, but it's the truth)
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 3:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I've heard that when they do that it means that there in heat and are making those weird sounds to attract a female cat. They sound so much like infant babies when they do that, its super scary. But yeah he's aggressive because he can't get any...
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 1:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Cool, I figured lol. He's been a little bit better today, but I am thinking of going to get him neutered and hopefully that will keep it from happening anymore because he wakes up the whole house at night and it sounds like he is literally a crying baby lol!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I understand that Pringles. He doesnt go out so Im not concerned about him getting another cat pregnant, but we will probably have it done anyway because he may very well get sneaky and escape again one of these days! (He did escape and run away for 36 hours before!)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2009