how much is it to permanently declaw your cat?

i want to bring him inside but i dont want him scratching and ruining everything so i want to declaw him first and he loves giving me massages but it would feel alot better if he didnt have those damn nails though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Pets

• i would read into other ways of doing that... they have nail cappers you can use that are safe and painless. they are vinyl things you glue onto their nails and they fall off after about 3 weeks. the declawing procedure is extremely painful. the vet removes not only the claws but actually the entire first segment of the toes
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 2:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• when we did our cat a few years ago it was about 150.00 for just the front set. you dont want to do more that that or you leave your cat completly defensless. if he was to get out at all he would have no way to defend himself. when a cat is declawed they are basicly removing the first didget of his paw. ( like cutting off the first part of your finger!) it is verry painful and your cat will remember it and ( at least mine did) hate you for it!! you can train him to leave the furniture alone and to love with soft paws! ( i have 4 other cats and they are not declawed because of this experience.) just keep a spray bottle of water around to use for dicipline and be consistant!! ( just like the kids)

good luck!!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 4:45 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• like the pp said it painful and can leave them defenseless, also they can become nasty and start biting. Also if the vet doesn't do it correctly the nail can grow back. u also have to buy special kitty litter while they heal. do the research before u decide, the pros and the cons, when i thought about doing it to my cat it was about 350 but that was in NM about 4yrs ago
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 8:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• i had a cat declawed and i must say i saved lives this cat ws nuts but i would NEVER EVER do it again only because i learned how they do it (they attach a gumband to the nails and pull until the whole nail pops out) granted they are asleep but still once i heard that i regretted it. My parents new cat scratches the carpet and stuff and they just got a scratching post and everytime they see her do it they tell her to quit she is getting much better. but even the declawed cat still tried. i think he knew what we did to him and hated us for it cause he always tried to attack us and started peeing on people! needless to say we dont have him anymore
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Please don't get him declawed. It is very painful and cruel, imo. It reminds me of how women were forced to do foot binding unwillingly. I know it's not the same procedure, but that's what comes to mind.
    Anonymous

• my parent's cat actually is more playful and catches more mice now that he's neutered and declawed. it's a matter of personal preference, no different than owning a dog whose breed gets their tails bobbed, or dewclaws removed. Jasper, the cat i mentioned above used to hide behind the entryway to the kitchen and jump out and grab ahold of legs and bite. He wasn't being mean, that's how he played, and my younger sisters were getting scratched. One scratch resulting in stitches meant that Jasper was being declawed. Now, we all LIKE to play with Jasper! (con't)
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• And if the other people answering think that declawing a cat is mutilating it, they can also include spay/neuter, ear cropping, tail docking, dewclaw removal, toenail trimming, etc. There are safe, and legitimate reasons for doing such, and it is completely ok.

People crack me up. It's no worse than deciding whether or not to circumcise your sons... Yes, there may be risk to infection, but your vet is well-qualified and knowledgeable in the area, as declawing is a more common procedure. But jeez... inhumane? Only if you plan on locking the cat in a kennel with cat-eating dogs... it doesn't seem to bother Jasper at all, he doesn't tiptoe around in pain, and i have never heard of a cats claws growing back in...

if you want it done, trust your vet, and trust that your pet will stay happy and healthy.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I got my cat neutered and completely declawed when he was just a kitten. It cost me $200 i think. It was a private vet I went to. I've never heard of owners doing it when they are older though.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Not that I'm FOR declawing, but let me tell you if you do get him declawed, make damn sure he doesn't go outside because their claws are really their first defense in fleeing from predators.

When they declaw, most clinics use a pair of nail clippers to take of the most distal (outer) joint of the toe such that the nail doesn't grow back. It is painful and a little hard to adjust to for the cats, but with proper pain management and time, most cats are back to normal in just a few days. Could I suggest that you find a clinic that does their surgical procedures with a laser? It is a little more expensive, but so much less painful and with less bleeding since the laser severes and deadens the nerves and blood vessels immediately.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 3:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• ive even heard of the procedure being done wrong and causing a really painful infection to grow inside the cats bones- im not sure if i would risk it
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009