DRINKING WHILE BREASTFEEDING?

IS IT OKAY TO DRINK A LITTLE BIT OF ALCOHOL WHILE BREASTFEEDING?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah then say you dont have a drinking problem
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• yes it actually is okay.
    Anonymous

• Your baby will get the alcohol...its not a good idea. Would you give your baby a shot? No, so why drink and breast feed. I know that it isnt exactly the same, but the idea is the same. I wouldnt do it. If you drink pump for 24 hours afterward
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Some say yes, some say no..there is conflicting advice on this from doctors and researchers. Here's an article for ya...

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/preg/a/aa000801a.htm
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• After I delivered my firstborn, I was told by my doc that I could drink, but I needed to wait 4 hours until breastfeeding again, to ensure that no trace of it was passed to the baby. Of course, you'd have to wait longer (or pump instead) if you plan on drinking more than a couple drinks. This pregnancy, I won't need to worry about it, because I quit drinking altogether about a year and a half ago.
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 3:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• One glass is ok. Make it kind of weak with more juice/soda. Every glass you drink add one hour. But of course weak drinks. There is alcohol tests strips just in case you get scared it's not safe. You can also pump and dump.
    starbucks_mama

Answer by starbucks_mama at 3:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• This is one of those annoying subjects. Of course you can have a drink while you are a breastfeeding mom. If you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to breastfeed. You never have to pump and dump unless it is for a missed feeding or your own comfort level. Alcohol leaves your milk as it does your blood (we don't need a transfusion after drinking so why would you pump and dump). Check Kellymom.com. Dr Jack Newman, Dr. Spock, etc. they all concur with the aforementioned.

It never ceased to amaze me that other BF moms, who stand by facts constantly, can not stand by the facts stated about alcohol from the same resources they pull their facts from. "Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers."~Dr Newman

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• it is generaly accepted to say thay if you are drinking so is your baby. if you are going to drink more than 1 drink i would not breastfeed for 4 hours. why risk it? you know that alcohol is verry dangerous for a developing mind. and anyon seems to be filled with an awful lot of self rightious ideas that are not supported by fact or popular opinion. if you really want secure answers ask your obgyn they will tell you dont be stupid.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 5:57 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yes, but don't be dumb about it, unless you have another means to feed baby, and another means to care for baby. My rule of thumb is 1-2 drinks, safe. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs before nursing again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Sure, it's okay. You want to do what's "best" for the baby but then drink alcohol and hope the baby doesn't get any of it through your milk.

Go for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2009