Blowing on face.

My 5 1/2 month old son loves it when I blow lightly on his face. Why is this? He smiles and laughs!

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 3:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it is not because he can't breathe nor will they lose their breath.

Blowing on a child's face actually has a very calming effect, as you can see it makes baby happy. Infants will instinctively take a breath when blown upon (obviously not harmful). Blowing on the face is also used as a calming agent when teaching infants to swim.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• its cause he cant breathe
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my son too, i dont know why
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• stop blowing in ur babies faces they lose their breath when you do that they are not smiling
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• hey crazy anons, that depends on where they are breathing. If she is lightly breathing on their forehead, eyes area then the baby can breath fine, it might just tickle.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My daughter loves it also! It love to see her laugh when I do it.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 3:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my baby girl loves this game too. i think it is because she recogonizes i am playing with her. the sensation is one she is trying to immitate now and its so cute!! when she was younger it was the sensation of feeling without seeing. it facinated her ( even in the swing ) and she would turn her head to face me and laugh. i will blow on her eye and she turns and laughs and presses her face into mine. it is a special boning time we have together.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 6:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• We had a nurse show a very frustrated set of parents (us) who's son refuses liquid medicine that give the dose and then lightly blow on their face, he would swallow WITHOUT getting a chance to spit it all out! It works like a charm!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 7:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with blowing in a kids face a few times. Now if you're constantly doing it and the child isn't liking it, that's another thing. Some people just need to calm down!
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2009