Do you have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder)?

If you have been diagnosed with this, what are some things you have done to control it? I had it and never realized it til a couple years ago. I would worry about the craziest things continually, and could never relax. After a particularly bad episode of thinking I was horribly sick, I experienced panic attacks. They treated me with Klonopin and Seroquel, which worked well and now for the most part i have it under control without medication. I haven't been medicated for over 2 years now. But at times I do still worry about strange things (like my cat escaped for 2 days and I was convinced he had gotten rabies while he was outside and i was going to get rabies lol). It took me literally 2 weeks to get over that before I realized he was fine! How do you calm yourself and convince yourself you are being irrational? Sometimes, I just can't relax. Its not at the point of meds though. What helps you?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:05 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Health

• i have had this and panic every since i was a small child and its hard to find anything to help..i try occupieing my mind by crafting it is about tyhe only thing that works..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• If I get too anxious, I can do total body relaxation exercises, but sometimes the worry hits me at the strangest times like I will be out shopping somewhere and I will just think the weirdest things, like what if this or that happens lol. I find it funny what pops into my mind sometimes and then my brain just won't let it go! Its during the times when I'm just trying to get my daily stuff done and the worries get outrageous that I just can't seem to relax about it because I really can't take the time to do a total body relaxation.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2009