Does anyone else have a toddler that stays up till midnight??? I neeed sleep

I also need me time but my daughter is up all night till 1 or 2 sometimes. I stoped Juice, I get her up early, I dance and run her ragged but she is UP. I need some down time for me and when I hear people say" OH MY CHILD IS IN BED AT 7PM. I WANT TO CRY." She does take naps but I can not get her not to. How do you force an exhausted child not to nap? Believe me I tried baths etc. If she falls asleep by 9 or 10 she is up at 11 ready to play and have fun. HELP

lulu2006

Asked by lulu2006 at 4:50 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 12 mo old is up at 12 too but this is my fault. my schedule got her into the habbit of being up late and sleeping in in the am. rose takes 2 naps a day 1 in the am and one in the pm and then is up until about 12 when she puts herself ( allmost ) to sleep.
    you have to find a way to change her sleep cycle. it will be torture for you but if you can find a way to keep her up all day for 2 to 3 days in a row her sleep cycle will change and you will get rest.

hang in there.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 7:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Have you tried reading the No Cry Sleep Solution and the No Cry Nap Solution book? I would recommend either one. Right now I am delving into the No Cry Nap Solution and hoping some of the techniques Pantley (author) suggests will help us. Our bedtime is okay - but it is nap time that throws our day off center - I end up with a tantrum throwing hillbilly by 5 o'clock if dd misses a nap. lol

The books also help you to understand what is happening during sleep cycles, and how nap time can help "rejuvenate" a toddler - but nothing replaces lost sleep at night. It is a really helpful book - if anything else to know you aren't alone :-)

As a side note remember every child is different. My dd goes to bed anywhere from 9 30 to 11 (sometimes later too!) She is up the latest out of all my friends with children - but she also tends to when she does nap - nap later in the day - she wills herself to wait for daddy to get home - GL!
    swampermom

Answer by swampermom at 7:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My son is autistic and averages 6 hours sleep in 24 hours..He also had reflux issues that kept him up. You may want to ask your dr to do a consult to discuss it you may be missing something medical. You can buy liquid melatonin at vitamin stores, it tastes like black cherry, and they usually fall asleep within an hour of taking it. We were giving it to my son when he was just a year old, its safe. Your body naturally produces melatonin some people just have less than others. Light can deplete melatonin, tv, computer monitors. Its about $7 a bottle and the bottle lasts a couple months. Talk to your pediatrician and maybe even ask about a sleep study being done.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 8:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my little girl goes to bed arond 8 to 9pm and gets up around 6 tp 7am and never had been one to be off scedule.
    tasha724

Answer by tasha724 at 8:43 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Ugh my two year old WAS staying up until 4 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got him to go to bed at 12 and just the other night he started going to bed at 830! But yeah, I was going crazy. I just MAKE him get up at 8 or 830. and keep him busy all day and dont let him take naps. Its a breeze to get him to sleep by 830!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth.
    What may also help is gradually putting her to bed earlier and consistently waking her up early. So start tonight and put her down a half hour earlier than normal and tomorrow make sure she's up by 7.
    If she's taking two naps a day, her first nap should be two hours after waking. If she naps for two hours, the next nap will be two hours after waking from the morning nap.
    Limiting her "screen" time will also help, especially before bed. My final suggestion would be to add white noise into the mix. We use a clock we bought at Target that plays nature sounds. The boys have been falling asleep (at nap and bed time) to the sound of ocean wave since they were 12wks old. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about Healthy Sleep Habits,Happy Child.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My 2 year old stays up till 12 or 1. It drives me nutty!! I want my "Mommy" time after she goes to bed. Sometimes I end up falling asleep before her. It is my fault though. We fall out of schedule alot. We're always going out of town to visit Daddy. It throws everything off.
    KellyGirl617

Answer by KellyGirl617 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• The more tired you get her, the more she will RESIST sleep. Do not drop the naps. Do not run her ragged. This is based in biology, not some old-wives-tale of "get them so tired that they collapse" wishful thinking.

I agree with twinclubmom - get a copy of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I was shocked at how sweet and smiley my daughter was once she started getting good sleep. Many studies are finding a link between too little sleep in the preschool years and behavior problems in grade school. Sleep is critical to growth and development and we have no idea what changes occur in the brain development of a sleep deprived child.

Get her up the same time every morning, no matter when she went to sleep.
    Ger her into sunlight within one hour of that.
    First nap within 2 hours of wake up.
    Second nap within 2 hours of getting up from 1st nap.
    Early, early bedtime.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My 20 month old stays up till at least 11 every night. If she takes a nap during the day then it is later than that. I joined playgroups and everything to try and wear her out, but she is just really hyper. I use to babysit for a waitress so that's where our schedule got off, because they would not get off work till after midnight. I am a night person anyway, so it kinda works for me. I wish I knew how to help you though.

http://www.ILuvWhatIDo.com/

cstewart0402

Answer by cstewart0402 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009