Advice for first time (very nervous) flyer

In April I'm flying to Texas from Wisconsin for my best friend's birthday. It's only a two and half hour flight, but I've never flown before (except for a 15 minute sight-seeing flight in a 4 passenger plane when I was 13) and I'm extremly scared. How can I relax and have a pleasant flight? Also, what should I pack in my carry on?

When I go home, I'm flying out of Dallas Fort Worth, if you're familiar with that airport, can you tell me if it's big and confusing? How early before my flight should I get there?

One more thing, I'm taking a birthday present, should I leave it unwrapped or can I wrap it and put it in my luggage? Thanks!

MommyAddie

Asked by MommyAddie at 5:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You can wrap the present and put in your suitcase. They'll just xray that. If it looks funny they may call you aside and make you open the suitcase to show them what is in there.

Don't try to bring anything sharp on the plane (including nail clippers) or any matches. These items should be in your suitcase. Don 't bring any liquids at all not in the suitcase or in your carry one. You can check the airline's website for security updates on what is and is not allowed. This should make it easier and faster to get through the security checks.

Check you flight info online before you leave the house in case there is a delay. You'll be happier waiting at home than in an airport.

Bring magazines, books, and snacks in your carry on along with one complete change of clothes. You'll want to have something to do but also if your suitcase is lost you'll be glad you have that spare set of clothes (Ours was lost on our honeymoon!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I have only flown twice, once from California to Florida when I was 16 and nothing scared me and when I was 25 on a 50 min flight from L.A. to Las Vegas and that freaked me out. I won't go into details. 911 swore me off of flying but the statistics are true. It is safer to fly then drive. Just take something with you that will make you sleep if you start to feel nervous. Consider some Tylenol PM. Good luck!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 5:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Just relax, planes are safer than cars, honestly. Pilots go through a heavy screeniong process before they are hired, everyone is drug tested, from the pilots, crew, mechanics. Can you say that about the yahoo next to you on the highway? How many people drive drunk or high everyday? Not pilots.

My absolute favorite thing with flying is the lift-off. It's fun, just relax and enjoy the ride. Once you level off, you might get a popping effect in your ears, chew gum to help relieve that pressure. Sometimes it doesn't go away for awhile, but eventually, it will pop back for you.
    Leave your present unwrapped, so if TSA needs to check it, they can. You might want to purchase a luggeage lock that is TSA accessable, so they don't have to cut your lock if they want in your luggage.

I tend to arrive at the airport about 1 and 1/2 hours early, just to make sure I have time to get through security and get to the right gate.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 5:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 6:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• When I flew for the first time I was nervous too but I just told myself to relax. I took a book and some magazines with me, that seemed to help a lot. we flew from virginia to Florida and it wasn't bad at all, actually now I love flying. Just read or listen to music to help take your mind off of it.
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 7:57 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• xanax. lots of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Well for one thing I can tell you the flight will be smoother in the big jet liner you'll be on than it was on the 4 passenger plane. Think of a row boat on choppy water vs. a cruise liner on choppy water. It is much more steady.

I have flown into and out of Dallas Ft Worth. It is pretty big but I was all alone and I managed to fine my way around. People in airports are usually very helpful about finding where you are going so don't be afraid to ask. You can also keep an eye out for frequent flyers and ask them.

You'll want to get there at least 2 hours before your flight, not only because you need time to get where you are going, but because these days security check in can take a while.

Wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off as you will be asked to remove them when you go through the metal detector. Also try not to bring anything metal in your pockets that you don't need like lots of change. Cont.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:43 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Sorry just a few more tips:

You'll be asked to turn off your cell phone while in flight as it might interfere with the navigation equipment. I don't know if this applies to Ipods but you can ask the flight attendant.

If you purchase a beverage in the airport AFTER security check in you may bring it on the plane with you. If you think you'll want something other than soda or alcohol then you should do this. It's good to have a beverage with you.

Try to relax and enjoy! I myself love to fly. Some people hate it some people love it and some think it's about as exciting as riding the bus. Don't psych yourself up about it. Relax and have a drink if you need to :)

Do not forget to look out the window at least a little bit. IT is the best part. Especially during take off or landing.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• leave your gift unwrapped, the baggage checkers have to open in =(. Do you get motion sickness? try drinking a ginger soda before hand.

I use to LOVE to fly! ( now I get sick =().

for domestic flights get to the airport 2 hours early, plenty of time to get lost, eat and do some shopping ( airpost have the best stores!) Don't pack anything food or drink before the security check. put all your bath room stuuf in little bags.

for your carry on, books, kintting , something to pass the time. ALL your identification , your purse

are you checking a bag as well? put everything you can in there. the less you have to lug around the better.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Maybe take some Motion Sickness Meds. just in case! I never Flew but my Daughter is A champion Flyer! Have A Great time! Think positive! Be Safe & Careful/Cautious.. Hurry home to WI.!! You'll be missed!! Hope the Gift that you give that is you- is most appreciated! Nothing beats the Gift of time & Love!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2009