Feeding baby cereal

When you fed your baby cereal for the first time did it affect their sleep? I fed my daughter cereal for the first time last night and she who usually sleeps all night went down at 930 and was up at midnight back down after a bottle then up again at 3 then very restless put her in bed with me but was still restless it's now 630 !

enmaynard

Asked by enmaynard at 7:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never really did food at night. I was actually thinking about this last night. Your body is trying to rest, sleep, but your digestive system can't rest, because it's busy processing all that food. (I think that's why I couldn't sleep last night. Spaghetti and cereal before bed). Sort of makes sense.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You filled her up with cereal and not with her usual breastmilk or formula (I hesitate to assume you're giving formula because I know moms who feed breastmilk in bottles). She had fewer calories in her for the night PLUS trying to digest it.

We started giving it at supper time. Then when we started giving other baby food we moved cereal to breakfast. (not that it's the "right" way to do it...just what we did)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:06 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• i feed him cereal in the moring ... but ya it did mess with his napping schedule
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It never messed with their sleep schedule thank God but I was also feeding them cereal 3 times a day.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• We didn't have a problem. We started putting a scoop in his bottle @ 2.5 months though so that may have helped ease him into it.
    georgeswife5014

Answer by georgeswife5014 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• at first i did it in the bottle so it was so weighed down by formula that she didnt know it was there it made her a little gassy at first but when her tummy got used to it she was fine
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• no I gave her a bottle also and she only got less than a tablespoon of cereal .. this was her first time trying it ... poor thing ended up sleeping most of the day because she was up all night
    enmaynard

Answer by enmaynard at 6:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2009