Is it normal for me to want to deliver at a different hospital than where I'm already seing my OB for the last 6 months? My husband works at a different hospital and I feel more comfortable there....was told I have to get a new OB and move all my medical records to make this happen (my nurse practitioner told me this). Help....I'm really stressed about this.

Jazz95

Asked by Jazz95 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• don't stress just move. But first ask you doc if he works at the other one to.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• if its what you want to do.. don't stress over it just do it.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Go where you are comfortable! It really isn't a huge hassle to transfer your records.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 10:05 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Think about both situations. Would you be more stressed by staying with the ob that you know and being in a hospital where you are unhappy, or by getting a new ob and being in the hospital where your husband is. I'd go with the husband's hospital. The people there would be more familiar, maybe, to both of you. So I'd make the switch to a new ob now in order to get to know them soon. No need to stress. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• If you are six months pregnancy a doctor may not take you. But you sure can try and its not a big deal to have your records sent over to the other office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I would however remember that when you are trying to switch ob's that it may be hard to find one that will take you b/c of how far along you are. Think about the situation carefully before making any decisions. Are you comfortable with your ob and just not comfy with the hospital. Would you feel more comfortable with your ob delivering? Really think about this before making a decision. You don't want to stress out over this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I switched OB's at 34 weeks, and it wasn't stressful at all. Just call around to OB's who deliver at the hospital you want to go to (you might have to ask where they deliver when they call), ask any other questions that are important to you, maybe get some recommendations from friends, and just make an appointment. The OB you're seeing now may charge you a fee (usually about $20) to transfer your records, but all you have to do is fill out a paper saying you're allowing it and where you want them sent, and they do the rest (unless you want to pick them up and take them yourself). And when you see the new OB, he/she will probably go over your records with you, let you ask any questions you have, and after that it will be normal appointments like you'd been seeing them all along. Really nothing to stress over about the actual transfer.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009