4 wk old screaming while pooping or passing gas

Hi, My son is 4 weeks old and just recently started screaming when he poops or tries to poop. He also sometimes screams when he passes gas, anyone know why. He is bottle fed. He has his one month check up tomorrow, providing the snow does not keep us from going, but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and if so, do they know why, Im sure it's just his intestines adjusting, but still worries me.

djsmommy129

Asked by djsmommy129 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if its everytime he could have something wrong with his stomach. make sure you tell your dr because if its what im thinking it could require surgery. but i don't know what is called sorry- i know someone whos daughter had somethinig like that but i though she was a little older. make sure to tell you doctor
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my son was doing the same thing on formula. we switched his formula to infamil for babies who fuss and have gas and he stoped crying when he goes poop and passes gas. its better on their stomachs, it is better digestion
    Angel_care

Answer by Angel_care at 10:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My DD did this and she grew out of it for the most part. She still fusses and screams while she poos but it is mostly like a whine. I would try some mylicon for the gas troubles and see if that helps the situation, but check with your doc tomorrow.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I just went through the same thing and my ped told me that around a month old their little stomachs start doing a better job of processing milk/formula and getting the moisture out. He said they will get extra gassy and their poop will change. Mine said I could give an ounce or two of sugar water to help her poop, and I breast feed if that makes a difference. After I switched my older daughter to formula around 7 or 8 months she had a hard time because of the iron in formula and i had to switch her to a low iron formula...that helped her. Best of luck!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It is normal but if it continues your ped might want you to do something about it. I can tell you Gripe Water is really effective for bubbles (burps and gas). It really soothes the pain and helps them get it out. (Get something with Oil of Fennel and Sodium Bicarbonate in it).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• mylicon works great my dd did that too and i only needed it a few times and it worked itself out
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2009