If You Lose/Lost Your job , Do You Plan To Apply?

Tucked inside the 800 billion dollar stumulus is a change in the COBRA rules for those who are layed off. I worked in an office once and know how expensive it is because while most think their costs are too high most employers really do pay the bulk of the cost while you are working. Now the government is going to try and pay 60% of the cost for you. Well, $600 out of a$1000 (using their estimate of cost, Ive seen higher)still leaves $400 for an unemployed person to pay. Unless you have savings socked away it will be impossible. Sounds to me like this already confusing program will also be inefficient.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090301/ap_on_go_pr_wh/stimulus_health_insurance

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Health

• My husband has two jobs so if he lost his main job (the one we have insurance through) then he would use this second job's insurance plan. I do agree though that unless you having savings $400 a month for insurance is not going to be a person's top priority if they have just lost their jobs.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2009