I think I may have asked this before, want to ask it again...?

Do you have a family member who survived the Depression?
Which, btw, I do NOT believe this is anywhere close to the depression or even the '70's or '81 recession.
What kind of remarks do THEY make when issues are discussed regarding the economy today?
I love what old people have to say from their experiences.

akinbottom2

Asked by akinbottom2 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We're not close. My grandfather was one of the millions of teenage boys who rode boxcars looking for work. I wish I'd thought to write it down before it was too late. I remember a lot of the stories he told me, but not in any exact order where I could sit down and say he did this, then that, then this. I also remember my grandmother telling me about the beating of her life when she dropped a bag of flour in dishwater (meant no bread for a month).

If there's anyone who actually believes for a second that this is the "new depression" there's a book you need to read. Go to the library or ebooks and get Hard Times by Studs Turkel. THAT is the real story of the depression, told from everyone's perspective, black, white, rich, poor, migrant workers to jazz musicians to tycoons. We're not anywhere near how bad it was, and at the same time, it wasn't as dire as alarmists want you to think.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my grandpa is the worlds biggest penny pincher :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• and he survived the depression... lol one time he took back a 4 year old plunger!!!!! who does that lol! and a 10 year old garbage disposal that broke
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:55 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I remember my grandparents talking about the depression and yes it was mega worse then this.You are right about the those too WAY worse.

aliciatron that's a 4 yr old plunger pretty funny lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:05 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Sheesh ...You are right about those others too WAY worse.

sorry not feeling well and apparently it is effecting my typing too.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yes, my grandpa told my mom stories all the time and she told us. She was born in 1930 so did survive it but doesn't remember it. Things were much worse. NO jobs, no money and they even had a hard time getting food. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking we are anywhere near that. Nothing they did helped until they went to war. That brought in jobs in every sector. I remember the Carter years in the the early 80s and we haven't even gotten that bad yet.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I remember my great-grandmas telling me stories...they actually would go to Canada and get food and smuggle it back by stuffing it in the hub caps, the lining of the seats, etc. They had lots of hiding places. They would only leave out some of the food that they knew they could get across safely (the advantages they had being in Detroit!). Things aren't even close to the dire situation they were in, but I often wonder what they would say, now.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Not Panicking, I'm getting that book on Amazon today. Thankyou for the note.
    We lost our home when we were kids, in northeast Ohio when daddy lost his job. We just came back to his parent's land, but they never speak of it. The only thing my daddy ever said about the Carter years was that his kids would never have a home mortgage and he built all of our houses. ( 4 girls ) My relatives are all dead now that would have remembered the depression.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my grand ma and great grandma..both are insane savers:) my grandma still shops and second hand stores and thank God, my husband is very frugal and we have been VERY blessed and have not felt the economic crises very much
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 12:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I have an older client at my office (she must be near 100 by now) and every time I see her she quizzes me on what our plan is to cope if this recession gets worse -
    putting in a bigger garden? yep
    Learn how to make bread without yeast? yep, its sourdough and its awesome
    spray down the fruit trees with dishsoap and water to kill the aphids? yep
    save all of our old clothes just in case? yep - do this anyway in case I want a sewing project.
    stockpile bulk items of soap/laundry soap/ diapers and canned goods NOW while we have a little spare cash? yepper again.

plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 12:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2009