babaa to sippy cup

ok my baby turns one on the 14th and try to give him a sippy but he hates it. He would reather drink out of a regular cup but that just makes a mess.. All he does every time i give him a sippy is chucks it at me ...

when should i have baby on the sippy and how can i get him to drink out of it ?

mom_since08

Asked by mom_since08 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friends baby did the same thing, she claims she waited too long to introduce the sippy but now they are fine i say just keep introducing it eventually he will do it when hes ready
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You could also try drinking out of one yourself. I know it sounds silly but they always want to do what you're doing. If you make it look like its great, he might want to follow your lead.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Try a different one. We ended up going to the Nuby cup after trying about 5 different ones with the oldest. The other two went right for the same cup.

We started by holding their hands on the cup and tipping it, then squeezing a bit of their formula into their mouths through the spout (they were only 6 months so still on formula). Once they realized what would come out of there, it was just about helping them learn to hold it (they weren't holding their bottles at that age) and then teaching them to tip it up. It took about 2 weeks.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• nuby has a pack of cups that have bottle nipples and sippy ones. try that. start out with the normal bottle nipple and after a week or two try putting the sippy nipple on and see what her does. they are the 10oz 3 Stage Wide Neck Feeding System. Here is a link for an example of it. http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Easy-grip-Stage-Feeding-System/dp/B000MQQR9U
    might help for him to be use to the cup as a bottle then switch it to the sipper lid....
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Same problem here, I finally got my baby to use the Gerber Sippy cup with a soft spout.
    garynjakesmom

Answer by garynjakesmom at 2:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009